Author Topic: hubbard green squash  (Read 2007 times)

Jokerman

• Half Acre
hubbard green squash
« on: May 02, 2006, 20:29:51 »
;D   One of the locals up my allotment has given me a Hubbard Green Squash plant, I'm keeping it in the greenhouse until it grows a little bigger. Any tips on how to look after it, or even what to do with the squash once its ready to be picked would be great!!!!    I don't even know what the squash will look like!! :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: hubbard green squash
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 01:14:32 »
You got a good 'un there jokerman! Keep it indoors until frosts are gone. Like other squash/pumpkin, it's a greedy feeder, it would love the growing in a compost/manure heap. Hand pollinate to ensure you get fruit. You can also plant this one into enriched soil thru black plastic. It will romp everywhere, so good ground cover :) Wonderful winter storer, it will last through to March/April if you're lucky.

Background:
http://www.seedfest.co.uk/seeds/squash/squash.html#greenhubbard

« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 01:21:19 by supersprout »

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 08:27:25 »
Was thinking of planting this one with my sweetcorn - will definitely do so now!

Jokerman

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 21:33:49 »
;D  many thanks, I'll try it on top of the compost heap, hope it turns into a monster!!!!!   ;D
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal