Author Topic: Cucumbers: indoor or outdoor?  (Read 1238 times)

artichoke

• Hectare
Cucumbers: indoor or outdoor?
« on: May 10, 2006, 13:36:07 »
I bought cucumber plants at a charity sale, described as outdoor cucumbers. But now I suspect they are not. Their names are Tasty Green (possibly Jazzy Green - wobbly writing) and Telegraph. Does anyone know for sure? I don't want to set up the climbing frame for them if they are not going to thrive, and I haven't got a greenhouse. It would be too mean to take them back to the people running the charity sale....

Niamh

• Not So New ...
Re: Cucumbers: indoor or outdoor?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 13:54:05 »
There's an outdoor variety called burpless tasty green, which I plan to plant outdoors at the end of the month. The other one, telegraph, I have not grown before, but I think it's an indoor one, suitable for a cool greenhouse. I think the burpless tasty green cucumber is generally very well recommended, and hopefully someone else will fill you in on the Telegraph one, whether it can be grown outdoors if you don't have a greenhouse.

Niamh

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 13:56:25 »
Thank you very much, Niamh. I did google it, but the resuts were inconclusive. Nice to know one of them is a good one!

Niamh

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 14:04:54 »
We'll have to compare how well the tasty green gets on, I haven't even decided on an exact planting date, or even constructed some sort of trellis to grow it up, but give me a heads up when you're putting yours out, and I'll do the same! First one to be eating cucumber tasty green sandwiches is the winner, photos as proof!

Niamh

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 15:59:38 »
my dad always grew telegraph in a cool greenhouse..but either way you've nothing to lose-bung 'em in!
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 21:05:41 »
I thought Telegraph was a grrenhouse job....
I usually only grow Crystal Apple (syn Lemon?) as I don't have to fuss about all that Male/female flower nonsense but most importantly because you get 50 seeds for a pound rtaher than three or four for a fortune as F1 Hybrids!
 You can grow it indoor or out and it always gets people asking questions like what is it? So it is white and round with a few spines, it tastes the same if not better and chopped up in Yogurt it is great!
 ;D

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 23:23:48 »
...I usually only grow Crystal Apple (syn Lemon?) as I don't have to fuss about all that Male/female flower nonsense... it tastes the same if not better ;D

Phew, I have some seeds of this which I have just sown - glad someone has already heard of it, tried it and recommended it  :D
mat

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 23:29:32 »
Usually pretty o.k. with cucumbers but am growing Crystal Apple this year for the first time but our first sowing didn't germinate at all so have put in a second lot - here's hoping .............
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

AlanP

• Half Acre
  • Willy Nelson
    • http://www.freewebs.com/alanparkin/index.htm
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 23:32:04 »
Telegraph is a greenhouse cucumber, I have grown it, and it lived up to it's name.
Just one more polytunnel, just one more chicken coop.
Just one more allotment.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal