Author Topic: alternatives to derris?  (Read 1718 times)

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
alternatives to derris?
« on: May 02, 2006, 13:20:17 »
My pea shoots are getting ruined by some little blighter - neighbour reckons it is pea weevil, and said to get some derris: i asked what that is and was told 'it;s a powder!' -- but having looked it up I don't like the sound of it. Any other way to keep the litttle ******* off my crops: companion planting, landmines? anything
I will finish it, one day

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: alternatives to derris?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 14:45:30 »
Fat Larry, I use fleece to cover mine. Keeps all the nasties off! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 17:59:49 »
Ditto, altho' I use fine mesh  :)

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 21:29:37 »
I'm useless with fleece. On our old, contested, allotment, I put it up round carrot etc (when there was no carrot fly!!) and it looked like a crime scene - and I put lots of holes in it, securing it to the ground via sticks. Now, what;s left of  it flaps about over my spuds on my new allotment that has carrot fly, flea beetle and these little £@%^£*^£$&*4s.
 After my last failure I'm loathe to buy any more. How do you put it over your peas and until what stage???

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 21:34:40 »
went down lottie tonight and found little black hopping beetles nibbling my brassicas, my peas, my broadies, >:(. As a hypochondriac I'm really wary of Rotenide/derris due to the possible parkinsons disease link, in fact I'm baffled that it is considered an organic pesticide when there is this possibility, and it's poisonous to eithert butterflies or ladybirds or soemthing. Grrr

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal