Author Topic: kaffir lime leaves...  (Read 7301 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
kaffir lime leaves...
« on: March 10, 2004, 17:22:29 »
are dashed expensive...if you use them & don't want to pay Harvey Nix prices, want some for free? I was going to buy a modest bag of them at the local supermarket to bring back from Thailand, till I told a generous Thai friend of my plans.......she gave me a bagful from her tree - a supermarket plastic bagful :o I've dried them in the micro & have more than a lifetime's worth - even if I change my name to Methuselah..........cheers, and thai recipes will appear in time if you're interested.........Lishka

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:kaffir lime leaves...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 17:31:42 »
ooooooooooo Lish, so good you are back.  Can't wait for tails from your travels.  And ooooooooo....maybe a few  ;D :-* ;D

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 22:39:27 »
Ooh!  Wuld love some please Lishka, iz so spensive here. will retturn postage  :D
Muddy Boots

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 06:43:40 »
 - 'tails', Emma - I think she ate all those?? = Tim

derf

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 09:57:26 »
I know what you mean, I can't get them where I live. 40min drive away when I need some lime leaves and thai sweet basil leaves.  But I did grow the sweet basil leaves last year in my lotti, they were lush!

Have you tried freezing the lime leaves Lishka?  They keep for months. Can we not grow the plant here?

Derf (Farida) :D
Fred

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004, 12:02:30 »
Since she'd already microwaved them, I didn't suggest that - which I think is the better way. = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2004, 12:53:16 »
hehehe Tim, I just noticed that.  

100 lines Emma Jane, I must learn to spell, I most lern to spel, I mus lernr to spell......  ;D

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 12:59:43 »
I would be eternally grateful for a decent semi-authentic thai red or green curry recipe.
My other half and I absolutely love the stuff, and can never get it even close to right when we try to make it ourselves.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004, 13:11:01 »
Alishka will be there in no time.

But must you always d-i-y? Thespiceshop do a great one. And many others. Especially their Indonesian roasted fish curry spices. To have all the authentic ingredients on hand - like fresh galangal, for instance - is not only expensive but difficult to plan. And why is it always green? Why not red sometimes? Just a different pepper. Fashion again?
And as in India - there is no one Thai curry - so just enjoy yours? = Tim
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 13:14:30 by tim »

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004, 13:49:19 »
I'd not thought of freezing them as I've been buying dried ones & they cook beautifully. Please, anyone, add your name to the list if you'd like some - I do have loads :o

I'm ploughing through 2 months admin at the mo (pleased I hadn't opened any mail when I drove round the shops on Monday - my car insurance expired in Feb. apparently :-[), and I'm away for the weekend, but I've some thai recipes to share, including the recipe for making red curry paste, when I've time. A thai friend gave me cookery lessons. so one can't get more authentic than that!

True that I'll have to make a trip to Wing Yip to get galangal, etc. but other things I brought back with me - I'm planning a meal early next week for friends - tom yam (mixed fish) soup, and pad ped gai, which is a chicken dish & I'll report back on the 'authentic' or just plain different-but-nice taste after I've made them & post recipes. Cheers all - Lishka

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 17:07:45 »
Well hurry along then!! = Tim

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2004, 09:38:43 »
Tim, doesn't matter if it's red or green to me really, I just want something that tastes like the red/green curry that I get at my local Thai Restaraunt.
None of the jars or mixes I have tried have come close. I've tried using suggested ingredients at home, and get closer, but it's still nowhere near right.  :'(
So I must be doing something wrong and I'd like suggestions on what that is.
I shall wait patiently for Alishka's recipe, and distract myself with indian curry instead :)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2004, 10:54:32 »
It's funny the way one can never repeat a 'professional' dish - or I can't. In some cases, it's as simple as the type & amount of oil used, or how browned the onions are.

So what is the 'essence of Thai'? And what are you flavouring - meat, fish, chicken,veg...? Each will give a different result. As will each chef. Thinking aloud, and NOT pontificating; fresh galangal (my absolute must!), coconut milk, pastes rather than powders, fish sauce, shrimp paste, basil, pickled garlic, shallots, lime leaves & lemon grass. And great skill!

Alishka's got a bit of homework before she'll be spreading the pearls from the orient but, meanwhile, let's keep trying? = Tim
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 10:55:54 by tim »

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2004, 13:08:15 »
Spot-on, Tim. It's going to be impossible to duplicate the food I've been eating - some sort of replication only?

I've heard from the friend in NZ with whom I shared the cookery lessons - she wanted to check the ingredient list for a dish which she'd cooked & tasted in NZ nothing like what we'd produced in Thailand....she'd actually, from her notes,  got it right; again, the only diff. is going to be in the ingredients themselves......f'rinstance, I've yet to google and identify this herb which translates as 'parsley' which looks & tastes like no parsley I've ever tasted or seen....although they use powdered stock, it comes in packets as loose powder & doesn't taste like our Knorr or Sainsbury's stuff...the red/green curry paste? I'm thinking that the colour comes from the colour of the chillies you pound together with the other ingredients...can check with Sun, our thai cookery teacher, about this...where we lived, tho, most Thais bought either tins of the stuff or small quantities of ready-made from the local shops...

Whatever, I picked up useful tips by observation....coriander root is bashed and used, f'rinstance & I also learned how to incorporate the eggs to make egg-fried rice (one at a time from a perimeter of the pan & worked in sections into the middle, before turning the pan to incorporate another?) Never knew that...

More later....perhaps much later? Cheers, Lish

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2004, 15:10:26 »
Can't wait - but meanwhile, yes of course the red & green chillies. And  yes, coriander root - but if I use the root, I've got no coriander!!

Take it easy! = Tim

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2004, 20:15:54 »
Tim,

Have you tried sowing coriander seeds??

I have and they grow quite easily.

As a keen cook, and even keener eater !!  :P , I sympathise with all out there who cannot get hold of some authentic ingredients.
Here in the North-east, in Newcastle, we have an abundance of continental food stores, which sell spices - whole or ground, at very reasonable prices, as well as a good selection of continental/oriental  fresh fruit & vegetables .

Last night I made a large batch of Chicken Kohlapuri ( now all eaten :P  ) and in doing so, stocked up on all my indian spices - which I buy whole, then roast and grind when recipes dictate.
Although it's time consuming, it's worth all the effort when people say "It tastes like an authentic curry!" (smug self satisfied grin )

Homepride curry sauce will never be a store cupboard stand-by again ....

HAPPY COOKING   ;D  ;D

LeicsUK

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2004, 17:47:11 »
Have you tried freezing the lime leaves Lishka?  They keep for months. Can we not grow the plant here?
Yep, you can buy and grow trees in the UK :D, I bought mine for £35 off a guy on Ebay who seems to have them regularly (ebay ID = exoticplants), his website is http://www.davids-exoticplants.co.uk/Rare%20Citrus%20Page.htm.  But you can also get them from http://www.treesdirect.co.uk/patio.htm, and http://www.easyexotics.co.uk/store/catalog/product_17704_Kaffir_Lime_citrus_hystrix.html (only £22.50 at this site but it doesn't say how big!).

I've parked it next to my patio doors in the sun and the leaves grow really quickly.  Any leaves that drop off or are 'ready' I pick and freeze in ziplock bags.  If you do buy one, don't be alarmed if all the leaves drop when you get it, apparently they don't like sudden change, but after a few days being in the same place it started sprouting - the upside of this is you get an instant start to your frozen supply!

One thing I am struggling to find is fresh galangal - any ideas?

Simon

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2004, 18:25:50 »
Lime leaves - leave me cold!

Coriander, Debs - yes - but it is never like the leafy 'bought stuff' for more than a week. Flowers are pretty. 'Spose it's then that you could eat the root without wasting the top?

Fresh galangal - of course - always have some in the freezer - no Thai etc. thing the same without it. Love it anyway. Your local (?) Asian grocer - or thespiceshop - nice site. = Tim

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2004, 20:51:25 »
Debs,

Would you please put the recipe on Recipes4All so that we can share and try to reproduce, if you don't mind  :D
Muddy Boots

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal