Author Topic: Improving my soil!  (Read 2861 times)

Sparky

• Quarter Acre
  • New chick on the lottie
Improving my soil!
« on: March 10, 2004, 14:10:06 »
Just got a new lottie and trying to decide what i can do to improve the soil before planting.  I have no compost ready yet or any well rotted manure.  The soil is very clayey (if thats a real word!!) and doesn't look like its been well looked after in the past.  Is there anything i can add that will work well but not cost too much ???

Sparky

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:Improving my soil!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 15:05:44 »
Do you have a wood nearby?,you could get a few bags of leaf mould. It will not go very far but it`s a start.

Stephan

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 15:06:47 »
There is one thing which will act as a sort of quick `pick me up` on sticky, neglected clay, and that is Calcium Sulphate or gypsum, which can be applied now, and is sold in garden shops under several names such as Clay Breaker.  If you have not already dug your plot, then apply the calcium sulphate to the surface and dig it in.  If you have already done the digging, apply less to the surface and work it into the top few inches.  Either way will result in increased precipitation, or flocculation, of the clay particles and a better crumb structure developing through the summer.

Having said which, although your clay (if it is clay, and not marl) should be on the acid side, it is a good idea to do a few pH tests first since calcium sulphate does have a marked alkaline reaction on the soil. And DON`T use it where you plan to plant potatoes this year
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 15:07:38 by Hugh_Jones »

jammyd

• Half Acre
  • upon the pile, shovelling muck - james & son
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 15:49:30 »
Hi Cleo, I read your comment with interest as I live next door to Banstead Downs, in Surrey and imagine that I'd have a fair bit of
leafmould at my disposal.

I would have thought that collecting leafmould in this way could introduce pests onto the allotment - if this is not the case, I'll be over there at the weekend with a couple of sacks!!

ta,
jams  ;D

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 16:01:38 »
Leafmould collected as Stephan suggests is no different from the leafmould that many of so painstakingly make in our own gardens - except that it takes longer to form naturally, and you`re unlikely to get any more `nasties` than  you`ve already got on your lottie. Dig in as much as you can get hold of, but keep an eye on the soil pH because some leaf mould can have quite a low pH value, depending on the varieties of trees in the wood.

jammyd

• Half Acre
  • upon the pile, shovelling muck - james & son
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 17:33:43 »
cheers Hugh  ;D

Might try that if the weather's nice then!

j

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2004, 16:11:02 »
Hi Sparky
If you don't want a patch for a spell you could try a green manure.  There is a link somewhere (or you could try a search)
AC  :)
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 18:37:56 »
not playing policeman or anything - but isn't whipping leafmould from land you don't own a tad illegal?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal