Author Topic: bumble bee nest box  (Read 1512 times)

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
bumble bee nest box
« on: April 21, 2006, 11:29:01 »
Bought one in the sale
Is it too laste to put out?

Where is best place?

Anybody had any success with these?

tezz brown

• Not So New ...
Re: bumble bee nest box
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 15:14:27 »
flossie/....i might be able to help you a little bit on this but i am not an expert,?..the only places that i have found a bumbles nest apart from under ground is at the base of a old hawthorn hedge in afield just below the grassy overhang and just off the floor ,..it was sited on the north side away from the sun ,..hope this might help.....i can not help you with the latter part of your question because i have never had one but would be very interested in how you get on.......i would site asap ,...i have just seen the smaller brown species in my garden for the first time this year so it may not be too late,..ps just a thought ,if you can catch one why not try and house it in the one you have bought,its worth a try.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 15:22:10 by tezz brown »

mokanoo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 23:07:44 »
flossie, tez may well be right but I have a box and it told me to put it in a sheltered location but facing south....although nothing has even ventured into it yet. I did have some bees try to build a nest in my house and that was facing south. Just think they may need somewhere sheltered from the wind. Try it in one place and if it doesn't work then move it somewhere else next season.

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 19:12:39 »
Thanks for this.  I have tried it on the shaded side of the shed - am not sure of the compass directions.  Will let you know if I get any inhabitants.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal