Author Topic: purple sprouting  (Read 2646 times)

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
purple sprouting
« on: March 09, 2004, 18:53:43 »
I planted some purple sprouting in my propagator on Friday, had a look this morning and they are through, I was just wondering am I to early with these, I do know that they need a long growing season, but am worried that I have jumped the gun with them.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:purple sprouting
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 19:32:30 »
Hi richard,i was also thinking about sowing them.So you are a little ahead of me.And yes the do need a long growing season.At the allotment my neighbour has put some young plants in his cold frame,so whats early?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 07:16:38 »
OMG - thanks for the reminder!! = Tim

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 14:07:34 »
Given up with purple sprouting because they take up space for too long in the year, and sometimes play havoc with 'rotation' plans.

I have now gone for late varieties of Calabrese such as Shogun & Marathon.

I find that I can harvest an early cropping variety then still have time to get these late varieties in, to mature later on in the year, thus giving me two crops per year.

Had some with the Xmas dinner.

n.b. The heads are a bit susceptable to frost but a covering of fleece helps.

p.s.Didn't get round to moving the stumps as soon as I should, but noticed yesterday a few of them were sending out 'spears' just like the 'purple' did.

So it looks like I will get a bit of an un-planned catch crop.

The Gardener

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 18:18:01 »
Elucidate, Big G?

1. 'PS takes up room too long'. OK. You use Calabrese. So what do you eat late Feb - April?
2. Calabrese - the heading type, or the small head + later side shoots - like in 'the olden days'? Or the 'Tenderstem type?
3. Big heads get caterpillars? Commercially, they must be sprayed to hell? We net ours.
4. We had 15 heads ready at the same time last year. Couldn't cope. 'Side shoots' continue for 3 months?
5. Calabrese is delicious - 'sprouting' is more so. And white sprouting even more so! = best wishes,Tim

The gardener

• Acre
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004, 15:28:02 »
Just for you Tim;   ;D

1. 'PS takes up room too long'. OK. You use Calabrese. So what do you eat late Feb - April?

Up here it can be April /May before I get a picking and as you will appreciate I need the ground in May for the new season stuff.

I eat Cabbage, Savoy, Cauli, Leeks, Sprouts around that time, plus whats in the freezer.

2. Calabrese - the heading type, or the small head + later side shoots - like in 'the olden days'? Or the 'Tenderstem type?[i/]

The big headed type as pictured on my website

3. Big heads get caterpillars? Commercially, they must be sprayed to hell? We net ours.

Never had that problem........the heads are ready before the 'cabbage whites are about, and they don't seem to touch the secondary spears.

Similarly they have hibernated before the late ones are ready.

Never need to spray them.

4. We had 15 heads ready at the same time last year. Couldn't cope. 'Side shoots' continue for 3 months?

Got over this with growing two varieties and staggerd sowings.

5. Calabrese is delicious - 'sprouting' is more so. And white sprouting even more so!

I tend to agree but needs must

« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 15:28:45 by The gardener »

The Gardener

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2004, 16:10:39 »
TG, any chance of updating your profile? The switch of servers seems to have lost the members' location information. That way we know where "up here" is (and Tim does accuse people of living just East of Calcutta?!  ;) )

I think I posted a bit last night which got lost in the downtime last night to the effect that GQT (I think) has a question on brocolli/calabrese and the outcome was that only Purple sprouting can withstand the harshest of the winter weather even though white sprouting and summer calabrese may have the edge when it comes to taste and yeild
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 16:11:57 by philcooper »

The gardener

• Acre
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 16:41:25 »
Yes I agree with that Phil, I mentioned it in the first posting I made on this thread, looks like you might have missed it.

However as I mentioned when I was down on the plot this week a few of the stumps were throwing 'spears' so if I am lucky I might get another helping before I lift them.

p.s.I have located myself on the map.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 16:42:30 by The gardener »

The Gardener

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004, 17:04:06 »
10/10 for that! Point taken. = Tim

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2004, 09:20:45 »
TG

"p.s.I have located myself on the map."  Has Scotland invaded the North of England (again!!??)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 09:21:41 by philcooper »

The gardener

• Acre
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2004, 12:41:36 »
Och aye the noo! ;D

As an Anglo Scot I saw it as either/or,so I took the easy way out and went this way ::)  

Did think on using the Union flag but changed my mind ???

ps.hence the reason for being 'flagless' for so long, I couldn't decide which way to go  ;D

The Gardener

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2004, 13:40:19 »
<sorry - should be in The Shed, or even The Watershed, given what the checker does to the man's name!>

Memories of Dick  <edit - Richard! :)> Gaughan holding an audience spell-bound, years ago, with a veritable oration in praise of Mrs T.  

This can't be THE Dick <edit - Richard! :)> Gaughan, radical Scots folkie?  Yup.

10 minutes it went on - in (of all places) the Irish Centre in Leeds.  And more on Mrs T.

You could have heard a pin drop - and still more on how wonderful Mrs T was.

The bar stops pulling pints - by this time Mrs T is even greater than William Wallace, and ----- Robert the Bruce.

Than Bonnie Prince Charlie ---- ??? ???

The dishwasher stops in mid-cycle.

Cash drawers lie open in mid transaction.

Birds roosting in the eaves fly off.

Bats head for Bradford.

Owls for Wakefield.

And still he goes on.

There's anger, nay, even fury!  And still not a penny drops!

"Aye, Mrs Thatcher's done something no other leader has ever acheived - extended the borders of Scotland to Watford Gap!"

Mass outlet of held breath raises roof!

The_Gardener - now I've worked out how you did it, I'll do the same!

All best - Gavin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal