Author Topic: Weed ID - now have photo!  (Read 2872 times)

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
Weed ID - now have photo!
« on: April 25, 2006, 19:21:16 »
I've just been to the plot and have something seeded everywhere.  I didn't have my camera but each plantlet has two or three slim grey green leaves with tinges of purple.  The leaves are hairy.  Although they look quite delicate at first glance when pulled out they have a long single root.  Any ideas or do I need a photo?

Edit - now have photo of a more mature specimen I pulled out today.  There are loads of little ones and I've been howing them but them seem to just be back growing on my next visit!

The leaves are quite hairy and seem to loose the purple tinge as they get older.  Any ideas now please?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 18:53:12 by amanda21 »
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

giantseye

• Half Acre
  • I love my lottie
Re: Weed ID
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 20:21:35 »
Can we have a photo please!!

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 20:54:20 »
Hairy finger grass?

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 21:16:29 »
i'm probably teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but it's not comfrey is it? it's all over my plot and fits the description perfectly.

Tabbycat

amanda21

• Acre
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
Re: Weed ID - now have photo!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 21:19:38 »
I've added a photo now -   ::)  Cheers

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 21:50:05 »
Er, teasel springs to mind. Unless it flowers with a small yellow flower early in the year, in which case it is an over wintering annual whose name totally efuses to stick!
Gardening is the great leveller.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 22:05:38 »
Yes I think it is teasel, at least it looks very much like that which grows wild on the Whitedowns in Surrey. I think it makes a lovely plant and wild birds love it in the winter if you leave it to seed. I think it is the Goldcrests favourite.

BUT it does seed itself profusely ::)

amanda21

• Acre
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 22:13:19 »
Oh what a shame they are all around my tiny carrot and lettuce seedlings!!!  :( 

Perhaps I can dig up a few and replant them somewhere out of the way.  They are certainly very happy germinating on my plot! 

Thanks for the ID.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 06:10:22 »
If it is teasel, you might get away with transplanting the tiny ones, like we do with foxgloves. I'm pretty sure that teasels are biennials, so you could expect them to grow a nice rosette this year, then throw out flower heads in April or May next.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 15:33:38 »
I think the clue is in here quote; something seeded everywhere. I think it is an annual weed and would guess at Shepherds purse (Capsella)

ugly gourd

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 21:17:26 »
I agree teasel  not shepherds purse. If you transplant some next year you will have lovely green teasels with purple flowers then the teasels will ripen to brown goldfinches love pecking the seeds out of them

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 16:57:14 »
Teasel!

One year got a packet of seed, and started some down the bottom of the garden. They were glorious, beautiful flowers, seeds for the birds, seed heads for vases...

They self-seeded like crazy - the first two years, after that initial dozen plants, we were digging large numbers of them out of the lawn armed with gloves and knives.... the teasel 'down-side' is if they like the location, they seem to go on a growing rampage (who can blame them).

A relative spotted one two days ago, lurking at the back of the border, and before you could say 'Please! No!', it was culled.  :( . That hardy young teasel had to have germinated from seed scattered via the initial batch of plants, some 10-12 years ago.

Lawns, prickly leaves, and bare feet are not a happy match!

But I still like 'em.

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 20:19:09 »
Have something called fox and hen which has seededall round the mother? plant the leaves look hairy like the pic!I t has an orange and brown pretty flower.
Chris Pea

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal