Author Topic: Another progress report  (Read 2166 times)

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
Another progress report
« on: April 23, 2006, 21:07:18 »
MH (Mutant Hobbit) and I must think alike... Anyway, here's my plot which I took on (alone) last October.  No piccies from day 1 (forgot camera) but rest show progress my "me and my spade"  have made.  No trusty MH to do any constructions  ;) so all fairly basic until I have all the digging done   ::)  I think I have surprised the "older guys" on the allotment and my work colleagues have never known what to make of me  :-[

I couldn't even see I had 2 gooseberry bushes until I had cleared further up the plot  :o  they are now pruned (as per Hessayon book) and (literally) covered in flowers

only two more rows (beds) to dig (phew, as I am starting to feel I need a break from digging  ;D)

I feel pleased with myself  ;D Not bad, what a girl can achieve!!!

(Rosemary bush inexplicably died a few weeks ago??? - why???)

mat
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 22:54:49 by mat »

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: Another progress report
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 22:34:53 »
:o

A plot to be proud of!! Good feeling to know that it's all your own work too!!

;D

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 07:52:45 »
cold feet for the rosemary ??? monty said they didn't like cold feet!

lovely looking plot mat.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 09:33:01 »
Wow Mat! Great job you have done, and yet another huge plot, makes mine look really tiny!! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 10:57:40 »
Mat. Fantastic the way you have turned the plot around. You must be very pleased with yourself. Good luck for the current growing period.
Lorna

Dixie

• Not So New ...
  • we all have a purpose
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 10:58:37 »
How satisfying to know its all your own work  :)...............your plot looks fantastic, well done :)
don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today

mat

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 22:44:28 »
Thanks "guys"  ;D

and Mrs KP, you could be right about the cold feet...  ::) we had some severe frosts this year which lasted days with no thaw...  It was given to me so was only planted last October, so it's feet wouldn't have been very deep...  I always thought rosemary was very hardy, but obviously not so. 

mat

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 23:44:36 »
Looking good, mat!  Why don't you have a go at constructing stuff?  You'd be surprised at what you can do.  Unless you're a holy terror with DIY implements, that is. ;D  Am jealous because you've actually got stuff growing.   :o ;D

Dave
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 16:22:08 »
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 17:32:55 »
Obviously a lot of hard work has gone into making it look so good. Hope you get lots of harvest from it this year.

mat

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 00:06:24 »
Umm, yes; a lot of hard work... I wish I had kept a tally of the hours  ;) but it must be in the hundreds... (weekends only once the clocks went back last October, at laest I now have the evenings again!)

Dave, I don't have much room left now for constructions... though I will be making my own compost bins at some point.  I am okay at DIY (despite being female!) just the digging has taken all my time, and I am still not finished   :(

It's great to be getting stuff actually growing now, and I will never forget my excitement when I saw my parsnips starting to pop through!!! (I didn't know what they would look like, so I placed a dollop of sand on top of each "station"!!!  That way I knew what I could weed out :-)  they popped through after just two weeks  :D

mat

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 02:05:48 »
Thank goodness you kept a photographic record mat, the 'after' picture is unrecognisable from 'before'! What a lovely looking plot you've made, and all your own work! :o :o
The beds look very inviting, hope they reward you soon with prodigious crops and the admiration of your neighbours 8) Well done mat! ;D ;D ;D

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 08:03:34 »
shame about the rosemary as it looked a lovely bush, i think was monty said was "cold and wet feet".  my wee pot stood outside all winter with no adverse effects, but being in a pot it was probably quite dry.

any ideas why we're only supposed to take cuttings later in the season ?  i'd quite like to increase the stock.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Squashmad

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 09:07:16 »
Very impressive Mat, and lovely to have the photographic record. We lost a lot of pics of early days on our plots when a laptop died on us!! I know just how proud you must feel - I enjoy looking at my outdoor plot every morning from the train on my way to work. Great way to start the day.  Hope everything grows well for you.  :D

mat

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 21:02:54 »
Thanks for all your messages

SS - yes, totally inrecognisable, and even more so now the lottie skip has arrived and I have been able to dump all the old carpet which was littering some of the plot (disintigrated and grown through...)  I took some time off work yesterday to ensure I got a space in the skip before all the retire guys filled it  ;)

MrsKP - most likely to have been cold feet rather than wet feet; the winter here has been bone dry... but definately colder than quite a few of the previous years.  Thaks for the info.  It seems as though there may be a couple of alive branches left - strangely on the northern facing side of the plant.  I will see what happens (I have moved it out of site of the rest of the plot holders!) and will trim it back to ground if it looks as though it may recover slowly...

SM - thanks.  I would be gutted if my hard drive failed... this year I got an external hard drive to mve my photos onto that... just hope that doesn't fail as it contains ,000's...  I am envious you can see your plot from the train to work - must be lovely to be able to see it like that  :D

I definately hope some plants grow; else it will look a bit of a sad plot  ::)
mat

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 21:07:12 »
something i should do more often ................ save everything to a dvd !!!!!!!!

even if everything failed now i'd still lose bundles, but i wouldn't lose everything ...... infact time to dig out a disc and burn baby burn.

;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal