Author Topic: Petrol Strimmer?  (Read 34547 times)

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
Petrol Strimmer?
« on: April 24, 2006, 02:18:06 »
Does anyone have any advice on what to look for when buying a petrol strimmer, please? I've seen them range from £90 to £190, and all were 2-stroke.
  I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks! :)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Petrol Strimmer?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 07:36:12 »
While I have my bath, check back on Search - quite a bit's been said on this,

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 07:47:48 »
;) Domestic electrical tools are a lot cheaper and/or you may already have them, have you considered buying a generator instead?

You can run a variety of tools off a genny, saws, hedge trimmers, drills, strimmers, you can even boil a kettle. ;D

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 08:05:14 »
I got one from B&Q for about £70 its 21cc & is good for grass & genreal use.

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 08:30:04 »
Hi all,
           I have a McCulloch trim mac 210, brought from B&Q last year for about £70, it is excellent for strimming long grass, & overgrown nettles. It is a bit too powerful for trimming the edges of the lawn however, things get cut down that I didn`t want to cut down ::)
                    Adrian.

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 12:04:17 »
Thanks a lot everyone, something to think about, definitely. I have the option of borrowing a generator but for regular use through the summer months it's not very practical as it's so heavy and would not leave it on the site... that kettle idea is a nice thought though, lol.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 13:28:53 »
I've a Trim Mac too; it's nice and light for those of us with duff backs, and doesn't take long to tidy the paths.

Teamaking best done with a butane gas stove and mini-kettle! Argos sells stoves for £17.99. Highly recommended, especially when doing the initial clearing as flasks of tea or coffee are never big enough!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 19:37:26 »
For what it's worth, mine's an old Ryobi, can't remember the model but it'll be obsolete now anyway. The two criteria on my list were: 1) a name I'd heard of, and 2) the biggest engine for the money (29cc). From memory, it was about £90.

If you do end up with a 2-stroke, use the best oil you can. More important than most people think. I use synthetic scooter oil from the motor bike shop. So far (seven years) so good.

Tea here also by gas. ;D

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 11:35:46 »
Glad you mentioned Ryobi euronerd, was thinking about getting one from B&Q (want a Stihl, but can't afford it  :( )

(Tea here is brought to me on a tray by my son :D)

grassroots

• Half Acre
  • If at first you dont succeed GIVE UP.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 22:28:57 »
Jenny. You wont go wrong with a Ryobi i got one last year work's well. As
Euronerd said use the best oil you can and get the mix right  and you wont
go wrong

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 23:56:38 »
While I have my bath, check back on Search - quite a bit's been said on this,

Careful

keithy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 23:33:57 »
If you have never used one, try and borrow one before splashing out the cash. I intended to buy one myself, but found the vibrations and the noise so unpleasant I bought a good pair of hand shears and a new hand mower.

Life is a bit slower, but quiter, and I'm getting fit !

RK
Lottie'ing in Swindon - backache with slugs

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 07:54:06 »
They're horrible things, but after wearing out a cordless one, I think it's going to be needed.

welsh lady

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 20:20:32 »
Argos are seeling the McCulloch trim mac 210 for £60 and the McCulloch Trim Mac SL for £64, I'm off to get one tomorrow.  I'll show those weeds whose the boss!!

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 20:32:32 »
i bought a mcculloch one last year and used it to keep the jungle at bay while i tried to clear the plot. i don't know how i would have managed without it. i'm taking a tip from wardy and keeping a very small patch of grass for sitting on. ha ha when do i sit!!! ::)

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 21:39:50 »
Is it worth spending the extra and getting one with a blade as well as the line?

sjg12

• Quarter Acre
  • Sunny Morecambe????
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2006, 21:55:37 »
I bought a challenge one last year at first no problems then the safety button broke & this year it won't start tried adjusting the carb but have snapped the adjusting screw so it's for the skip....

Have just reserved one of the McCulloch Trim Mac SL for £64 from Argos think the lesson is you get what you pay for only well known names from now on for me!!!!!

M J B

• Not So New ...
    • http://www.mjb-allotment.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2006, 22:08:06 »
They did have them in Aldi a week ago for about £60, not sure what make. Will check out the argos idea, thanx  :)

onionhead

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2006, 23:29:04 »
Both Focus and Aldi are flogging them for the sale price of £49.99 at the moment. The pigdog capitalist concept of the Gardening Season must be nearly over because everything horticultural seems to have gone cut price.  ::) Still, good news for us cheapskates!  ;D
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2006, 21:35:07 »
Crash, I don't know how much extra they cost with a blade (Didn't even know you could get them), but from experience, a 2mm line will slice through any thickness of bramble or similar. I think somehow the power of the engine determines the thickness of the line, so perhaps this is something else to look for when buying.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal