Author Topic: Has anyone grown greenhouse toms on straw bales?  (Read 1933 times)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Has anyone grown greenhouse toms on straw bales?
« on: April 21, 2006, 14:35:38 »
I have heard of toms growing on happily on straw bales in the greenhouse. Does anyone have a tried and tested method (or has tried it and wants to warn me off?) Thank you!

peterpiper

• Not So New ...
Re: Has anyone grown greenhouse toms on straw bales?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 18:04:19 »
i have read a book on the subject . was interested in having a go. but it seemed a bit of a kerfuffle for an ordinary grower. i do remember that the bales have to be watered and left to mature. it seems interesting.whether you would have time at this stage in the growing year with having to leave the bales to mature/ferment.
if you have a go at it let me know your trials and tribulations.
regards.
pete

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 10:18:14 »
Hi Sprout, I have grown cucumbers in bales of straw before  and they did ok ..
 So I think tomatoes should grow quite good in them as well..Takes about 3 weeks to get bales ready for planting in . Can post method I used if You are interested in having a go ..Cheers ..Jim
Cheers .. Jim

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 11:52:58 »
Yes please jim, or pm me if it's long? Thank you :)

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 20:22:38 »
We used to grow tomatoes on straw bales there are two posssible problems.Firstly if any weed killers have been used on the cereal crop there can be small traces left in the straw and this can be released as the straw rots also as the straw rots it tends to draw nitrogen away from the plant and then you get poor weak growth.You can overcome the nitrogen problem by carefull feeding but the weedkiller one only become clear when you plants start going deformed.I do not think this is harmfull to the eating but certainly reduces the crop.

I have heard of toms growing on happily on straw bales in the greenhouse. Does anyone have a tried and tested method (or has tried it and wants to warn me off?) Thank you!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal