Author Topic: Leggy seedlings...  (Read 2472 times)

Bryan

• Quarter Acre
Leggy seedlings...
« on: April 22, 2006, 21:30:13 »
Please help with your advice.
I had to go away for the last week, and on returning i found that my Broccoli seedlings, had become very leggy.
Would it be advisable to pot them on, from the seedtray, into pots and bury them a little deeper than usual, or would it be best to scrap the whole lot and start again.
One point of note: These Autumn Calabrese seeds were bought from Aldi for 29p, and i have had 100% germination. I sowed 40, 40 germinated. I sowed another 40, and low and behold, another 40 germinated.
Will be very grateful for any advice recieved, Thank You.
Don't worry about tomorrow, or yesterday, just think about today.

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
Re: Leggy seedlings...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 21:55:05 »
pot them on into 3 or 4 inch pots,perhaps 2 or 3 plants per pot,the bottom 2 leaves drop off anyway so plant them up to the bottom leaves,you can split them when thay are large enough to plant out by teasing the roots apart,dont forget to add some lime to the planting holes to deter clubroot,i hope that this helps you
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

Bryan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 06:34:22 »
many thanks Davey, i will give it a go, and hopefully they will be alright. :) :)
Don't worry about tomorrow, or yesterday, just think about today.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 20:17:12 »
I know this is rather late for your present problem but it might help in the future.
I think how many plants I want to plant out and get enough small cacti pots, fill with general purpose compost and put two seeds in each. Most times they nearly all germinate in which case when very small I pinch one out leaving one plant per pot which gives me very good plants to plant straight out without any check and a packet of 100 seeds last for years.
I do this with all brassicas as we seem to sow far too many seeds when we do it in the soil and then transplant, this way also gives much better resukts when growing cauliflower as they do not check and then curd up early and small.
Laurie

Please help with your advice.
I had to go away for the last week, and on returning i found that my Broccoli seedlings, had become very leggy.
Would it be advisable to pot them on, from the seedtray, into pots and bury them a little deeper than usual, or would it be best to scrap the whole lot and start again.
One point of note: These Autumn Calabrese seeds were bought from Aldi for 29p, and i have had 100% germination. I sowed 40, 40 germinated. I sowed another 40, and low and behold, another 40 germinated.
Will be very grateful for any advice recieved, Thank You.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal