Author Topic: Wisteria cuttings  (Read 2349 times)

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
Wisteria cuttings
« on: April 22, 2006, 14:52:20 »
I've just been asked by the estate agent selling my sadly deceased father's house if I'd mind him taking a few cuttings of the wisteria that is about to flower spectacularly on the back wall of his house.  I've just read in an elderly copy of the Which? Guide to Successful Propagation that it's possible to propagate by layering in the spring or basal cuttings in June/July.  It would then take upwards of 8 years to flower.  Anyone tried this? 

I ask because we inherited a 20 year old wisteria on a previous house of ours that had never flowered and were told by several people that it was because it hadn't been grafted.  Wouldn't want the estate agent to waste 8 years waiting pointlessly, especially now he's got us the asking price for the house in just a week. :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 15:11:48 by Jill »

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
Re: Wisteria cuttings
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 15:07:59 »
Oooooooohhhhh I don't see any problem with an estate agent waiting 8 years pointlessly  ;D It would be 'pay-back' time wouldn't it  ;D

NO OFFENCE TO YOUR ESTATE AGENT ... ONLY THE ONE THAT DEALT WITH THE PURCHASE OF MY HOUSE!!!!  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 22:13:43 »
Have a look here: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1246.html . It seems that either layers or grafted plants will flower quicker than those raised from seed. Maybe there was some other reason why that wisteria didn't flower.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 12:47:47 »
Many thanks Robert.  That certainly makes interesting reading.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal