Author Topic: Tools for the job  (Read 4636 times)

garyp

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Tools for the job
« on: March 09, 2004, 11:26:38 »
I was looking at tools for cultivating the plot spades, forks etc. I find that because I am tallish with standard forks and spades I have to do a lot of bending. I was searching around the internet and came across a site which is selling long-handled tools. They go by the name of Azadas. they are basically a spade/fork type blade set horizontally at the end of the handle.  
I wonder if anyone out there has comes across these and has good/bad experiences of using them?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re:Tools for the job
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 11:35:32 »
Here in Belgium long handled spades and forks are the norm. They're quite comfortable. I brought my UK stuff with me but even as a 'shorty' I have no problems when I use a long handled spade.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 11:41:43 »
The only trouble I've had with long handled tools is that I find it difficult to put much weight behind them (my hands just slip down the handle, which they can't do on short ones!) Or maybe it's just because I'm a little girly?!
gone to pot :D

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 20:04:51 »
Hi Garyp - I've only used the tools we're used to (bog-standard spades and the like);  I'm comfortable with them and they fit me.

Azadas - I've watched women in W Africa using them/similar.  My God - the speed!  Not quite up to Tim's rotovator - but . . . !

People who use them seem to become 110% converts VERY quickly.  There are quite a few posts on http://www.kitchengarden.co.uk/forum/ about azadas - but it's very hard to get on that site at the moment.

A bit of gut feeling - I'd miss having a spade for doing the deeper cultivation (double-digging), but I'd happily try an azada for the shallower stuff.  

Eeeeeeh - I'd never had a hobby before where I plan for Xmas in February - planting for Xmas dinner, and planning what I want for pressies!

All best - Gavin

thomasb

• Half Acre
  • Allotment in Cowley, Oxford
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 20:21:13 »
I do not use a spade, but a long-handled shovel. I find them much easier to work but then thats what I have always used on my parents farm back in Ireland. On their farm they are a general-use shovel from when cleaning out cow-sheds to garden use. I have  see similiar ones in FOCUS over here. In a recent catalogue I received from Ferndale Lodge (www.ferndale-lodge.co.uk) they call it the 'american digging shovel'.
Thomas

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 20:30:22 »
I`ve been using one of those for 5 years, thomasb. 15 minutes with an ordinary spade and I need the services of a chiropractor, but I can work all day with my `Clint Eastwood` shovel (he always uses one to bury the baddies). I only wish I could find a fork constructed on the same lines.

thomasb

• Half Acre
  • Allotment in Cowley, Oxford
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 20:43:41 »
Hugh,
I have looked for, but failed to find a long-handled fork. The type which I have used in the past is a 4-pronged fork with very narrow prongs. Its a general-farm fork and used for such things as forking sillage etc. It is however very usefull in the garden.
Thomas

garyp

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 21:39:04 »
Thanks for you replies. What kicked off me asking about this was I am a new allotment holder. I met one of my fellow allotment holders for the first time at the weekend and he was using one of the long-handled shovels. He allowed me to try it and when he was using it he was diiging a bed in double quick time. So it started me off thinking about the tools I use. I found a website which had one of these long handled shovels and also these tools called azadas. Incidentally they have got a long handled fork on there website. But the blade is set horizontally on the end of the shaft. The site is www.get-digging.co.uk I am seriously tempted to try one of these tools!!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004, 18:24:47 »
The long hanvled fork with the horizontal working end is used for breaking up soil and moving it around. I have one, very useful, but not used in the same way as an ordinary fork. The long handled version is available but not as common as the spade. A fork is, of course, for breaking the ground after the spade has done it's work so doesn't need to be as robust. A long spade and standard fork are ideal companions.

mysticmog

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004, 13:15:20 »
I've been looking at Azadas and they look v useful for peeps with bad backs, but I can't work out how you get earth out of holes with them - the spade bit is backwards?  How does it work?  Anyone got any ideas?
Peas xx

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 14:28:04 »
employ immigrants to do the work for you ;)
----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2004, 14:42:54 »
pointless post...ignore
career messageboarder passing through
----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2004, 14:43:11 »
pointless post...ignore

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2004, 14:43:28 »
pointless post...ignore

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2004, 14:43:43 »
pointless post...ignore

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2004, 14:44:00 »
pointless post...ignore

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2004, 14:44:23 »
Thats better....

Thanks all

mysticmog

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2004, 14:04:19 »
Sorry fingle, I missed that, what did you say again?

;D
Peas xx

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2004, 15:04:11 »
Hiccups?

jethro

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2004, 15:38:40 »
Stutter?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal