Author Topic: buying eggs  (Read 5958 times)

Arumlily

• Acre
buying eggs
« on: April 20, 2006, 11:25:17 »
I would love to get in touch with folks who breed chickens, for I would like to buy eggs from you. Anyone in east anglia please. Thank you

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: buying eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 16:08:13 »
If no luck here try ebay or the Practical Poultry Forum.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Arumlily

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 16:37:01 »
Hi Jerry,  thanks very much. Will follow your advise.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 22:47:22 »
Look for your local farmer's market.  We have been to Bakewell this morning, and have bought eggs that were laid this morning.

I know it is out of your area, but if you go to www.farmersmarkets.co.uk, you may find that there are some suppliers in your area.

valmarg

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 23:17:13 »
Here is a link to Gerrys sudjestion.

http://www.practicalpoultry.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

On ebay avoid one day auctions as it has been said the eggs have been bought from farmers markets/auctions and fresh they may not be?.

Hope your talking of fertile eggs?

Arumlily

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 22:56:07 »
Hi Valmarg, thanks for your tip on farmer's market will check that link as well.

Hi teresa, yes I have visited practical poultry forum and left my details there but so far no one has been in touch. Thanks very much for your e-bay tip as well. By the way what is a fertile egg?

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 23:09:39 »
A fertile egg is when you have a male running with females ( hens) you get a thingy if you use the C word here.
Hence eggs are fertile and you can hatch them either with a broody hen or incubators to get babies ( chicks)
Non fertile are hens laying with out a Cxock to distract them.
I think its the chinese who say fertile eggs taste better but I notice no difference.
Both are safe to eat.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 23:24:04 »
Now I am confused whats new ha ha.
either way lots of hobbiest keep a few hens in the back garden like me.
We cannot advertise we sell eggs but can put a sign up outside our house saying " fresh eggs for sale" its called selling over the garden fence.
So if you put an add in your local paper with your telephone number in it I am sure someone will call you  so you can have fresh eggs.
Hope this helps

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 19:44:44 »
Where in east anglia are you?

BTW on one site they claim that due to media hype of bird flu you can no longer give or sell eggs without registering your flock - regardless of how many chooks you have and regardless of whether you sell/give them from the gate or to a 3rd party. It used to be flocks over 50 that had to be registered.

However i cant find any info that says that on the defra site.. but i thought i should warn you just in case.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 21:16:01 »
Media hype
As I believe if you have 50 hens you have to be registered by law, under they are not bothered untill its in your aera.
My local vets know how many hens I have and if I had to be registered I am sure I would have had a letter by now from someone. Vets are required I think to inform the powers that be.
I havent seen anything on the poultry site I use about it either but will check.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 21:16:58 »
It was on the Pekin Bantam site - it surprised a few of us.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 22:49:44 »
I wonder if they saw this?
It relates to poultry show's I think and selling the birds afterwards then yes they would have to be registered just incase of a break out of the virus.
have a look and see what you think.

AVIAN INFLUENZA UPDATE
Following a meeting of PCGB and other stakeholders with DEFRA on 12th December, the Minister, Margaret Beckett, announced on 20th December that shows, sales and gatherings of poultry can be held under a general licence provided that biosecurity measures are put in place and a vet is on call for the duration of the show or sale. (This does not mean the banning law has been lifted and if there was an outbreak, the general licence would be withdrawn.)

PCGB has worked hard for this result and fanciers will have to abide by the new biosecurity measures in order to continue with their exhibition hobby. For further details on the regulations, please see the DEFRA website.
Please continue to implement sensible biosecurity measures according to PCGB guidelines.

There are well-publicised concerns about the potential risk posed by Avian Influenza (Bird Flu), as outlined by DEFRA –

http://www.practicalpoultry.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1145976116
The last link shows how media panic has got to people.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 11:09:34 »
Hi Teresa

It seems the person who announced we all have to register if giving or selling eggs is totally interpreting the Defra info ALOT differently to how I and many others are interpreting it.

So i have emailed Defra to confirm exactly what the state of play is as currently it is still in debate and i see no point in argueing as we both see things very differently.

I shall let you know what Defra says - though I think it is safe to sell/give eggs away if your flock is under 50.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 12:41:11 »
For those that sell or give eggs away and have flocks of less than 50 you do NOT need to register.

I emailed Defra and here is their response...

Hi thanks for your email regarding your poultry as such the law states that anyone with 50 or more bird has to register by law but I know that you only have four chickens but because you give your eggs away I would recommend that you register

Thanks

Drew wallace

So from this I take it that NO noone need register birds under 50 even if you sell or give your eggs away.

Of course Defra would like us ALL to register, which is why he 'recommended' BUT the bottom line is that it is not UNLAWFUL not to be registered.

Hope that clarifies the situation for all.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 17:39:41 »
Oh thanks for that, but I have read threads on another site that some local councils are asking people to register their hens etc.
But not all councils how strange perhaps some councils want to be prepared just in case?
Forgot to say a big thank you to Olive Oil for going to the trouble to find out.
I hope you have put it on thePekin Bantam site to stop others worrying.
Once again a big thankyou.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 22:15:48 »
found that site heres the link:

http://forum.rivercottage.net/viewtopic.php?t=15175

what do you think?

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 08:46:56 »
Hi Teresa

More Hysteria! (River cottage)... if you look at the bromley website they say they would be 'grateful' if people with birds contact them... again it is NOT compulsory!

If you go back to the pekin bantam site teresa and look at the thread you can see my response and then the response of 2 others... arghhhhh

I got pretty peeved yesterday by them hyping it all up again after i had given them the FACTS.  After all the whole point of the thread was to get to the FACTS after someone had misinformed us.

Anyway thank YOU! Generally peeps on the PB site know their stuff and its all too easy to take someones comments as fact, which i'm afraid is what i did when i first posted here... but im glad you disagreed and it made me more determined to get the truth from Defra.

Mind you, you can throw fact and truth at as many people as you like, they will still only believe what they want to LOL.  ::)

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 09:26:23 »
I would love to get in touch with folks who breed chickens, for I would like to buy eggs from you. Anyone in east anglia please. Thank you

Free range eggs are on sale in harleston, norfolk @

1 doz small  £0.90
1 doz med   £1.10
1 doz large  £1.20

If you need directions to the farm just ask.

Arumlily

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2006, 15:56:32 »
Hi everyone alot has been going on since I last posted. Just to say thanks very much your for all your tips, suggestions and information. I am from Chelmsford.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal