Author Topic: allotment open day/ plant sale  (Read 3683 times)

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
allotment open day/ plant sale
« on: April 19, 2006, 18:29:52 »
our allotment site's having an open day/plant sale. am i allowed to let people know through this site? don't want to do anything i'm not supposed to.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
Re: allotment open day/ plant sale
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 18:44:30 »
ooo just a wee bit far away for me  ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 20:10:28 »
oooh, an open day - sounds great ... hope our site will have one.  Publicising it sounds like a good idea to me.  Good luck.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 20:40:41 »
;D

Always interested in whats going on at other peoples sites! Tell us more? What kind of stuff will be going on? Can we see pics of the day itself? Just really nosey, me...

:-\

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 18:58:33 »
we have a raffle at Christmas and an open day in may every year to raise money to improve the allotment site. (the councils war cry is they've no money.)it's usually really busy and people have a wee walk round for a good nosey. veg and flower plants & shrubs sold are grown by people at the allotments. we do Cheat a little and buy plug plants in bulk and grow them on. we advertise locally and any money raised goes towards new stuff. last years fundraiser paid for a big pollytunnel for anyone who didn't have a greenhouse. 'super harry' as we call him (a truly great guy)has made loads from old window frames for us,so the pollytunnel was used for loads of left over tomato plants etc that were given away free to any senior citizens along with all our left over veg we planted in an unused plot. theres a real community spirit in our plots ... a wee bit like this place. dunno if i can advertise on here though. i don't want Dan to rap my knuckles...kneed em for pricking out wee baby seeds. I'm not very god with computers either, I'll try to p.m. him. I'm good at gabbing with the computer though eh!!x
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 20:20:23 by weedbusta »

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 21:17:19 »
;D

Sounds great Busta! What a good idea to have a polytunnel for people to use. People have been very helpful on my site, good to know that the community spirit is alive and well!

;)

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 23:44:42 »
An allotment site in Monmouth is opening again this year for the Yellow Book National Gardens Scheme.
I went last year and the site was open to any visitor at a charge of £2.50 which went to the NGS charities. They sold teas, cakes and plants for their own funds to get the site fenced.
Fascinating to see the different crops and techniques and the members were very friendly.
I saw a Jostaberry there last year and now I am the owner of two well grown bushes and a Tayberry given by the allotment holder.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 10:49:14 »
An Open Day is a great idea -  I wish our Site would have one.  I suggested it last year, but the committee aren't keen on having strangers walking around our Site.  It is not a Council owned site, and we have a huge waiting list, so they think it is not necessary to promote ourselves.  The are very suspicious because we have so much vandalism but I think Allotments should be promoted and people encouraged to grow their own vegetable.  So well done your go-ahead comittee Busta and it should be a lot of fun for your allotment community too.  I would love to visit if you were in our area. :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 17:21:10 »
Weedbusta - when is the sale and where exactly are you?  I'm southside of Glasgow and would quite like the chance to get some plants for my new lottie.  Our society has plant sales/open days too - I'll let you know when they are so's you can pop over.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 06:48:21 »
i'd love to pop over too to see the experts in action.  will keep an eye on this thread.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 10:42:11 »
its from 11.a.m.on sat 20th may in springboig/budhill allotments. next to gartocher tyres opposite the playpark.roughly 2 miles east from the forge shopping centre. I'm great at directions!!! anyones welcome to come along for a wee nosey and a cuppa. plots are not open plan so you can have a good look around over the fences without anyone breathing down the back of your neck.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 22:37:52 by weedbusta »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal