Author Topic: Securing Black Plastic  (Read 5570 times)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Securing Black Plastic
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 19:06:32 »
sorry to hear it emagggie >:(
never mind, bags of time to sow more (just say the word if you're short of seeds)
 :)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006, 20:18:15 »
Thanks SS, doing a recce any minute now to see what I've got left in the way of seeds. :)
Smile, it confuses people.

Ricado

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2006, 22:06:25 »
sorry if a little obvious, but how about inserting it into the ground with a shovel or spade ? 

Ive done this very sucessfully and planted courgettes etc through it.

I first selected a piece of plastic that was much larger than the area to be covered, laid it out with equal overlap, then work your way round with a shovel, push down until the plastic is well buried and taut.  Keep going round and round until the plastic is as taut as you want it.  This method does use much more plastic than the area covered, but a small price to pay i think.  its very quick, and if it comes loose (which it shouldnt) just push it back in again.  The only thing i did do was stand a rhubarb forcer on each corner for good measure (but i dont think it would move anyway !
growing, growing, growing, growing, growing ...sleeping

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2006, 23:11:53 »
That sounds worth a go Ricardo,the ground is nice and soft now so it shouldn't be to arduous. Don't think my plastic is thick enough though,but I have since found some landscaping fabric cheepo.Might put it on the top for good measure.

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2006, 14:33:19 »
I make 'soil bags' to use as weights. I fill one carrier bag up with soil and tie a knot it in and then put it in another carrier bag, so I can use the handles to carry it.

When I don't need them any more I empty all the soil out and throw all the old bags away.

If you are planting things through plastic, you could have a think abut making plastic collars from the middle sections of 2ltr drinks bottles which you can push into the soil as a barrier. If you cut small slits in one end (about half a cm apart) you can then bend the rim outwards to make it more difficult for the slugs to climb up over the top.

I take the collar off once the plant is too tough for the slugs to eat and then use it on another younger transplant.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 14:37:25 by John_H »
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2006, 18:17:37 »
That's brill John, I'm going to adopt that one as well!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Thankyou.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal