Author Topic: floor covering ????????  (Read 2114 times)

wilki

• Not So New ...
floor covering ????????
« on: April 16, 2006, 08:57:14 »
hooray !!!!!
Just got a new greenhouse, had a couple before but where covered in plastic. This is a proper glass one, luxury  ;D
Was going to cover the floor inside with a thick canvas cover (an old shop awning cover) then a few inches of gravel, this will mean that i have to grow everything in pots, and that will mean extra vigilance with watering, but will mean no weeds!!!! We have been pestered for all the years that i have lived here with bind weed, the only thing that i have found to stop it is a canvas cover.
the question is what do you guys think?

TEL

• Hectare
Re: floor covering ????????
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 17:45:31 »
i would go for it if i was you i put a membrane in mine then old boards as i have the same trouble with the B weed.

Two Choices

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 18:18:48 »
Agree with TEL here. I put 12 bags of pea shingle (25kg bags from Wi-k-s) over some very thick cardboard in my 8x6 and it works fine. Having said that, this year I got worm casts inside through 2-3 ins of pea shingle! must have some healthy blighters.
The other good thing is that they store some heat when required and in the very hot weather when to damp down, the inside is not slippery.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 18:33:48 »
Pots is easier I think. My earth floor now has a covering of woodchips, mainy just for tidiness, and it is soft to walk on. I get very few weeds coming through now, just the odd one near the edges, which is easy to deal with.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

wilki

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 08:59:01 »
Thanks to you all for that.
It pays to pass things by on here, for a bit of reassurance. Juat realised how many bags i'm gonna needs though  :o
its a 8'x12'  :-X

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 19:30:01 »
You may as well buy a 1/2 ton of pebbles / gravel, it will work out cheaper and be deeper!!
you just need a trailer or some wheels as delivery can make it too expensive!!!
Good Luck
Kevb
p.s. 8 X 12 is a BIGEE, are you sure its not a conservatory?? LOL :) :) :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 19:31:32 by KevB »
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

wilki

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 19:35:53 »
it does sound a bigee KEVB, but we have got some shelving in now and there does seem to be less room than i thought once i worked out how many different plants i want to grow, a couple of vines, cucumber, peppers (chillis and sweet),lots of toms and some melons. by the way arnt melon seeds expensive?
Ten seeds are over £2.00 at the garden centre, went to ASDA and got a melon for £1.60, thought about growing the seeds from that to see if anything comes of it then its a bounus. :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal