Author Topic: vermiculite  (Read 4331 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
vermiculite
« on: March 08, 2004, 11:40:06 »
I always cover my seeds with vermiculite. But it's often difficult to get the fine variety.

So - like caster or 'icing' sugar from granulated, the blender!! = Tim

tim

• Hectare
Re:vermiculite
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 09:28:20 »
Feel much better now!!

Feels like fishing, sometimes. Wondering if there will be a bite.
But no matter - it's been read a few times, so someone will have gained something. = Tim

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 16:07:30 »
Tim, I dont want to appear a bit thick  :-[but why does it have to be fine vermiculite? I just scrub mine between my hands to break it up a bit and seem to do ok with that.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 18:54:48 »
Maybe I've been unlucky, but all my V is 'bouncy', and won't even rub through a sieve.
Whichever way, I believe we are right to do it? = Tim

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 19:35:43 »
What actually IS vermiculite? I know it's something like coarse sand orso but I don't think it's known or used in Holland and if it is, it's probably mixed with soil for seeding soil or under a different name.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 20:50:53 »
It`s a hydrous silicate of mica, which has been heated until it expands and laminates. It is totally sterile, but unlike Perlite, which is completely neutral, has a slightly alkaline reaction which tends to increase the longer it is in use. Consequently it is of no use in the propagation of calcifuges, but o.k. for everything else.

Of the two products (Perlite and Vermiculite) Perlite has slightly the greater water retentive capabilities and I would prefer it for cuttings, but I find vermiculite easier for seed sowing.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 21:07:37 »
thanks Hugh.
Is perlite the little white balls of squeeky plastic?

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 21:19:41 »
er....no! Those are little white balls of squeaky plastic, and one threaded on the fishing line just above the hook is just right for lifting the bait slightly off the bottom.

Perlite is another form of mineral rock. In its natural state it contains up to 6% water, so when it is heated to 1700 degF it expands and fractures into the little white particles which are sold to gardeners. Each fragment contains numbers of miniscule cavities, which are what makes it water retentive.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 22:37:08 »
Thanks again Hugh. I just don't think they sell any of those things at the garden centers in Holland. I'll just have to stick to the special seeding soil as they call it, very nice stuff actually and probably mixed with some of those things you explained. It doesn't pack down, kind of fluffy, doesn't dry out quickly and when it does, it's still loose but............. very expensive. I use it not only for seeding but also for transplanting tender seedlings.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 00:18:40 »
Ina, vermiculite is also used in large quantities for heat insulation - mainly in roofs or in spaces between ceilings and floors.  It may be worth checking to see whether it is available for this purpose from building supplies merchants, although you might have to do like tim, and put it through the blender.

Beer_Belly

• Acre
  • English bloke in Holland
    • ToadRunners Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2004, 06:50:00 »
I went looking in garen centres last weekend and couldn't find any - I don't think the Dutch use it.

I had to get some stuff that seems to be coconut fibres

-B_B-

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2004, 16:47:38 »
Both vermiculite and perlite are manufactured for horticultural use in Holland.  The company name is so long that I can`t remember it, but go to web site "www.pullrhenen.nl" for the manufacturer`s site, or alternatively "www.vermiculite.org/" for The Vermiculite Association, which lists three manufacturers in Holland.  Sorry, I can`t remember how to post an actual link, so you`ll have to type in the addresses yourselves.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2004, 18:22:27 »
Thank you Hugh

Beer_Belly

• Acre
  • English bloke in Holland
    • ToadRunners Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2004, 11:53:59 »