Author Topic: Slugs....  (Read 1658 times)

jonny211

• Acre
Slugs....
« on: April 18, 2006, 14:20:05 »
[whinge]

Well I left the top off one my propagators for one day and today I've found that my peas are bare and my calabrese seedlings have been neatly mowed back to soil level. Thank you slugs & snails!

Also they found my tray of germinating peas any pea slightly out of the compost has been munched, not all of it mind you - just about half.

Looks like I'll have to start the calabrese again and this time permanently under cover.

[/whinge]

TEL

• Hectare
Re: Slugs....
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 14:29:29 »
thats got me dashing down to look at my peas now :o

Hippychick

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 14:30:31 »
OMG! you have my greatest sympathies.  Haven't suffered much with the pesky things so far, I think my puppy has probably eaten a fair few!!

My old dog ate a whole tray of beautifully pricked out cucumber plants last year, but was too late to start again.
I've invested in some organic slug killer this year to protect my lettuces and beans, it's completely safe for pets, children and wildlife.  I'll let you all know if its any good.  Meanwhile chin up - its all part of the fun -so they tell me :-\
The most beautiful things in this world are made by nature, but a little help from wo/man in the food growing department can go a long way.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 14:53:12 »
Coffee!!! 8)

Slugs hate it --  keep you perk / cafetiere grounds or go buy that nasty cheap stuff from the supermarket, dilute and pour!!   ;)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 16:23:33 »
Hmmmm... I've read about slugs and coffee and thought it was april 1st again, do I pour it onto the ground around my plants?

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 17:16:40 »
I am keeping the spent grounds from my coffee maker at work, then sprinkling then where required.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 17:17:15 »
If you do a 'coffee search' on here there are several threads to read but the one below is very informative!

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,28/topic,3036.0
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 14:02:07 »
Hi hippychick.  Which brand of organinc slug stuff are you using?  I've bought Slugstoppa but haven't used it yet.  Let us know if whatever you're using works.

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 15:28:32 »
I'll definitely try something, went outside last night and three snails had again mowed the peas down to nothing, needless to say they all went over the fence at high velocity. The snails that was.

becs

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 16:15:21 »
I'll definitely try something, went outside last night and three snails had again mowed the peas down to nothing, needless to say they all went over the fence at high velocity. The snails that was.

ah.. but a slight problem there..... the snails will come back!  Like homing pigeons.. they will find their way back to your garden...  >:(   need something a bit more "forceful" if you like to get rid of them or to stop them eating your plants.

I'm going to try the coffee this year as I lost all my aubergines and peppers and the 3 carefully nurtured tomatillo plants to the slugs last year :(      My Nan always used to collect them all up (100's of them every night for about 3-4 years and then they seemed to vanish......!!!) and then kill them with salt.... I'm trying to avoid that  :-X

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 16:42:06 »

ah.. but a slight problem there..... the snails will come back!  Like homing pigeons..

Can snails fly like pigeons?!?!?! If so I think I'll give up now!

cardinalflower

• Half Acre
  • Love the smell of lilacs .....
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 17:13:02 »
I took supersprouts advice and picked up 4 bags of coffee grounds courtesy of the fantastic starbucks. I sprinkled them around all the plants, just a thin layer and dug it in. The slugs legged it out of the soil!  :P

Thanks supersprout

btw .....
The grounds are bagged up so neatly in big silver starbucks bags!

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 17:19:13 »
I've invested in some organic slug killer this year to protect my lettuces and beans, it's completely safe for pets, children and wildlife

um......arent slugs wildlife? ;D ;D ;D

just finkin like!.....

i shall be visiting starbucks toot sweet!
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal