Author Topic: "organic" feeds  (Read 2755 times)

Ricado

• Half Acre
"organic" feeds
« on: April 13, 2006, 19:57:24 »
Ive been using organic pellets mixed with water and fed with watering can, seaweed mixtures, and blood, fish bone mixtures.

But im looking for something with more strength (and probably higher nitrogen) for green leafies, parsleys etc to give a real kick after the pots have been harvested once to give quick re growth.

Can anyone recommend anything, preferably organic.
growing, growing, growing, growing, growing ...sleeping

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: "organic" feeds
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 20:50:03 »
Since you specify nitrogen, I would suggest poultry manure, in the form of pellets. Is this what you have been adding, as the indications I have seen are that you will get all the 'power' you need from these.

However, I will be honest, and say that I am preaching from a 'book' here (ie websites), not having direct experience of solving this problem. I am as keen to see what others say as you probably are ...

By the way, one source of information for me was ...

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0705/nutrient_deficiencies.asp
The impossible is just a journey away ...

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 21:44:59 »
I'd imagine that one of the most readily available sources of nitrogen is also the free source! Seriously, you could use urine as a kick start. This is an extract from a report by Peter Morgan:
Each of us excretes about 580 kg urine per year (for adults) - about 1.5 litres per day, and this contains many nutrients useful to plant growth. In recent figures released in China  by Gao, Shen and Zheng (2002), urine contains 96.98%water, 0.53 % (3.08 kg/yr) nitrogen (mostly urea), 0.04% (0.23 kg/yr) phosphorus, and 0.14% (0.81 kg/yr) potassium

Another piece of work goes into more detail, essentially I believe that occasional watering of the soil with a 3:1 water/urine mix will benefit leafy plants. Best you read this link in full if you feel like having a go:
http://www.ecosanres.org/PDF%20files/PM%20Report/Chapter%2010%20The%20usefulness%20of%20urine%20a.pdf

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 22:19:25 »
Nettle tea is very high in nitrogen - prepared the same way as Comfrey.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 10:14:46 »
Nettle tea is very high in nitrogen
And boy does it pong! :o
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 13:22:47 »
Nettle tea is very high in nitrogen
And boy does it pong! :o
It does - my mate found that out when he got up close and had a good sniff.  His breakfast ended up in the hedge. :-X
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 15:17:03 »
I'd imagine that one of the most readily available sources of nitrogen is also the free source! Seriously, you could use urine as a kick start. This is an extract from a report by Peter Morgan:
Each of us excretes about 580 kg urine per year (for adults) - about 1.5 litres per day, and this contains many nutrients useful to plant growth. In recent figures released in China  by Gao, Shen and Zheng (2002), urine contains 96.98%water, 0.53 % (3.08 kg/yr) nitrogen (mostly urea), 0.04% (0.23 kg/yr) phosphorus, and 0.14% (0.81 kg/yr) potassium

Another piece of work goes into more detail, essentially I believe that occasional watering of the soil with a 3:1 water/urine mix will benefit leafy plants. Best you read this link in full if you feel like having a go:
http://www.ecosanres.org/PDF%20files/PM%20Report/Chapter%2010%20The%20usefulness%20of%20urine%20a.pdf

Read it.  Sounds really, really amazing.  It's worth reading the whole thing and sticking to his measurements/instructions.  I shall be issuing instructions to my very meat-eating OH to use some of those big milk bottles I've been keeping! 

Jenny, have you tried this yourself?  Infact, has anyone on this forum tried it?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 19:45:30 »
I add the contents of the pee barrel to the watering can and distribute it that way. I do use it pretty dilute though.

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 22:03:36 »
i usually pee in my compost binns which supposed to start a good change reaction,

what about comfrey for that notrogen boost ?

Carl
another member of i forgot my password

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 22:46:33 »
...Jenny, have you tried this yourself?  In fact, has anyone on this forum tried it?

Well, not officially. There are certain obstacles for me.
My shed has no door for one.  ;D
I don't use plastic bottles very often - milkman delivers our milk in glass ones.
Being female it would take some acrobatics to enable me to pee discretely into the compost heap. Also, the compost heap is located 4 ft from the main entrance gate.
I have occasionally been able to supply the necessary, but to be honest have not monitored its performance.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 22:22:33 »
what about comfrey for that notrogen boost ? Carl

Comfrey is not high in nitrogen. Nettle tea is

Dried blood is the quick acting organic nitrogen rich fertiliser, hoof and horn is the slow release version.

For a liquid try Maxicrop original if you don't have nettles - not cheap unless you can get it from your allotment trading shed

Phil

Jenny, there are always the hours of darkness!!!  ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal