Author Topic: Freecycle website  (Read 8114 times)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Re: Freecycle website
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 18:17:17 »
I've just got myself a rabbit cage which i'm going to raise my chicks in when they hatch ;)

My first gain from freecyclers. woohoo ;D

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2006, 19:31:52 »
i am glad i can get rid of stuff via freecycle - stuff that holds little value to me but is just what someone else is looking for!
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2006, 22:17:46 »
i love freecycle but have just resigned from one group.

it all started to get very abusive about "wanted" notices and several people posted messages saying that the individuals who came to collect stuff weren't "worthy" or "deserving enough" as they drove "nice cars"(?). ???

It all got very judgemental so I have joined another local group - so far they all seem quite laid back about things!

Tabbycat

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2006, 06:59:41 »
I've come across this as well; people can get very judgemental at times. Best avoided, I always feel.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2006, 07:42:03 »
Hi all,

I found Freecyclers to be very nice, frequently busy and disorganised like myself, but nice,  :)

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2006, 08:11:07 »
Surely it's nothing to do with the person who collects the items - if the queen turned up and collected my toe nail clippings the point is that item has been recycled and not added to the great british rubbish dumps.

People who drive nice cars probably drive nice cars because they are clever enough to use things like freecycle

glow (I can only dream of BMW's)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2006, 08:26:46 »
WOW - my first 2 page thread ;D

The London freecycle site has these 'hissy fits' from time to time.  First about people posting lots of Wanted and apparently not offering anything.  Then about people who were posting a Recieved, thanks and now about local sites being created, e.g. Ealing, Kingston, Sutton etc.  I just ignore it and generally the moaners wear themselves out.

I have never met any of my 'receivers'.  As we all tend to be busy and because I don't want to spend a whole day waiting in for someone (when I could be at the lottie) I wrap up the item and leave it in the front garden, then the person can collect at their convenience.

I posted a Flymo strimmer that had been in the shed for several years and that last year I couldn't even give away.  Within an hour of posting on freecycle, I could have given it away 10 times over.  I find the hardest thing is to choose the recipient.  I must say, when people say it is for their Mum or Granny, my little voice is saying 'yeah, right'.............so perhaps we are all a bit judgemental - human nature?

Well enough of that self analysis - school run time.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2006, 09:23:24 »
I got some strawberry plants a few weeks back from freecycle. Haven't got organised enough to start trying to de-clutter my own place yet! I tend to prefer to give stuff to charity shops, but I think freecycle's  an ideal way of getting stuff for allotments, because most of the stuff we want (plants, wood, etc) wouldn't be any good to a charity shop and so would definitely end up in landfill.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2006, 09:32:46 »
I would like to give my stuff to charity shops but their response in the past has rather put me off.  With two children, I tend to have a lot of clothes that could be passed on.  I have sold a lot thro boot sales, but decided this time to take to a charity shop in Twickenham.  Everything in the bag was washed and folded.  The women took one look and said "no thanks - we already have enough clothes".  I walked the length of the High St, before finding a shop that would take the stuff - at that point I would have been happy to put it in the bin >:(

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2006, 16:33:02 »
I gave 5 plastic garden chairs away last week on freecycle. Had been taking up space in the garden for 2 years 'cos we now have some wooden ones. (after they were gone I thought 'should have taken one to lottie'! ;D)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2006, 07:39:02 »
We have a charity shop at church, and at times we have more clothes than we know what to do with. A lot of it's no use, and ends up in the garage; the contents go to the rag man every few months. Sometimes the volunteers who run it are completely overwhelmed by the quantity of stuff coming in (I dragged two dozen overflowing bin liners in the other day), and don't even have the time to sort through it all.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2006, 09:42:49 »
I think the success of your freecycler site is down to the organizers so of course there will be good sites and bad sites.

People forget that it isn't a charity site for the needy - its a 'green' site for reducing land fill!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2006, 15:20:32 »
For people who are really in need, freecycle is better than charity shops, because it is free! The charity I work for refers people to the local "Community furniture store", but they still have to pay for the furniture, unless they can get a grant from another charity, which can take some time. I was quite annoyed to discover this, having donated stuff to the furniture store in the past. It'll all be going on freecycle now. Just a shame that the people who need it don't often have access to a computer or a car.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2006, 20:48:41 »
I only signed up to our local freecycle after reading this thread.  I felt that I couldnt ask for stuff right away so made sure that I was offering and not wanting.  Have given away a pile of old gardening mags, kitchen garden,gardeners world, am gardener and such.  Also found new homes for 4 dalek type compost bins(gone onto pallet compost bins now) and some rather large shrubs that I had planted too close together and now needed to thin out.  First wanted was some plastic tables and chairs (getting ready for a summer party and need chairs for guests to sit in the garden).  Have just picked up 6 chairs and a cleaner upper of a table ;D  Im well pleased with freecycle.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2006, 23:01:54 »
Not much luck here with local group, I was told I could have some seed trays and a composter, but when I emailed about collecting them, I was told he had given them to someone else !! Not been too successful in shifting my stuff either........think I might try a little further afield or even go to the tip  >:(
Smile, it confuses people.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2006, 23:38:51 »
you have to be quick, for sure!
dont forget that people freecycle stuff because they want to get rid of it - it's inconvenient if the pickup takes much longer than putting The Thing into the bin! i know, i have been there!
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2006, 09:38:49 »
yuor right there svea, you do have to be quick. i have passed on plants and kids bits and its fun when you know your old stuff is wanted by others.  in the past couple of weeks i have managed to pick up a garden bench and 12 large rockery stones. very pleased, both of these were picked up on the same day they were posted on the site.  there does seem to  be a lot of peeps on my local freecycle that want too much...laptops,cars,telvisions etc.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2006, 00:15:29 »
Just joined today after reading this post. I don't have anything I want to get rid of at the moment or I need so I bet I forget about the site after a while.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2006, 19:50:34 »
For those female people who have trouble finding somewhere to donate clothes, how about the local womens refuge?Locally they are always grateful for toiletries,toys, and womens and childrens clothes.Sometimes they arrive with nothing and a few bits help until they can get sorted.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2006, 20:33:52 »
Just had a Freecycle email full of 'wants' one of which was a small caravan ??? and another was a car to take the people on holiday as theirs had broken down. (must have tax and MOT). :o
I think I must have misunderstood the concept of freecycle.............I'm going to ask for unwanted jewelry and a free holiday  ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal