Author Topic: Jerusalem Artichokes  (Read 11312 times)

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
Jerusalem Artichokes
« on: April 11, 2006, 13:57:29 »
Last week's (or was it the week before?) GW said they were going to demonstrate Jerusalems, but in spite of taping it and searching the tape, it seems they didn't.

I bought some from Sainsbury's in February and tried to chit them (sort of like spuds or ginger, looking for shoots), but they dried out a bit.  I have since put them in 5" pots kept moist with well-rotted garden compost, and put them in the greenhouse to give them a chance......
 ???
Any comments, either positive or negative, on the story so far?  Such as "Weedin, you've killed them"; or "They were never going to grow anyway"; or "Well done, you should be able to plant them out in a couple of weeks and harvest a huge crop in November" would be welcome.
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

KMARKSnr

• Quarter Acre
  • I`m not "young enough" to know everything !
Re: Jerusalem Artichokes
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 14:05:40 »
Hi weedin/all
          I was given some from my neighbour at the lottie,and put them in a bucket of compost to grow as a temporary measure.
          Yes they are just poking through  ;D
          Kept them in a shaded greenhouse.

Regards,
                                   Mark.
i`m not "young enough" to know everything !

cliff_the_gardener

• Quarter Acre
  • Puschkina libanotica
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 14:28:23 »
no need to chit Jerusalem artichokes - they dry out, as already mentioned.  Get them in.  just plant them, nothing fancy.  Plant out of the way or where you want a wind break, they make a good wall of foliage - like sunflowers but more robust
Clifford

Niamh

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 14:36:40 »
I put 4 fat juicy tubers into the ground some time in February, as of yesterday, still no sign of them coming up! They were Fuseau, the less knobbly sort, that I got from the Irish Seed Savers Association.

Not sure I can resist the temptation to have a poke around to see what's happening, will be devastated if they got munched by slugs.

Would I be better off digging them up and potting them up to give them a head start?

Niamh

cliff_the_gardener

• Quarter Acre
  • Puschkina libanotica
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 14:40:31 »
They dont need it for they are in the ground till next year!.  They will catch up once the soil warms up they will be away

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 14:47:31 »
are they still in the supermarkets? If so I'll go and get some and shove them straight in the ground. Just LOVE them...

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 14:54:38 »
Don`t bother with keeping them warm,just bung em in.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 14:58:27 »
i agree with cliff, you are looking after them too well!! just put them in where you
want them to grow and thats it!! i use mine as a wind break and cut them down to the size i want them. next year believe me you will digging some up as they are thugs. they make a nice soup,deliahs recipe! regards /angle shades x
grow your own way

Niamh

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 15:21:36 »
Like every other gardener I know, just over anxious I suppose! I know you're right, they'll be fine. Thought I'd killed my Cosmos atrosanguineas also but it's sprouting now!

Let you know when they appear above ground.

Niamh

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 15:28:28 »
Mine have been in the ground since late February, with no show. I presume this is due to the inclement weather we are all experiencing ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 15:30:47 »
;D

I like them lots and just bunged 20 in on my new plot. They are all along the bottom fence so that scallys cannot see whats on my plot later in the year!! I comfort myself with the info I have had about them...

Once you have got them they will go on regardless!!

Hope it will be one of those things I just cannot kill, despite my ineptitude!!

;D

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 15:36:36 »
its too cold!!! they are a member of the sunflower family,and you cant kill them they grow everywhere on our plots!! we cant wait for newbies to give them too!!!/angle shades x
grow your own way

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 15:50:35 »
Mine aren't up either, but don't worry, they're indestructible. Once they're in, they're there forever unless you make a major effort to get rid of them.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 15:57:05 »
we cant wait for newbies to give them too!!!
;D ;D ;D

David R

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 09:06:40 »
dirty rotten filthy skinking things ;D ;D

anyway, despite the fact they cause an ill wind, they cannot be got rid off once you plant them, which is good if you like them.  They are yummy roasted though.

They dont show for some time yet, its still too cold. Dont worry about the tubers in the ground, nothing eats them as far i know - obviously has the same effect on creepy crawlies as on humans, so leave them out of choice!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2006, 10:02:38 »
Perhaps someone knows of good ways to serve them, roast sounds one good method ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 10:03:35 »
Bennettsleg
       Waitrose still had them last week!

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 10:04:33 »
dirty rotten filthy skinking things ;D ;D

anyway, despite the fact they cause an ill wind

The ill wind can be combated by using the miracle ingredient Asafoetida.  It smells rather... pungent, and only a pinch is needed, but the ill winds die down because if it. Tadaaaa!

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2006, 10:05:53 »
Best ever soup !(minus side effects)

stuffed

• Half Acre
  • Hi from Milton Keynes
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2006, 10:07:36 »
Roasted is tasty.
I add them to mashed potato and to bulk up soups and things, they are much lower in calories aparently than potatoes so I tend to substitute it.
You can eat it raw sliced in salads or alike or I have seen it suggested to slice and add to stir fries.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal