Author Topic: Making summat from nowt  (Read 5669 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Making summat from nowt
« on: March 07, 2004, 16:17:46 »
Lots of 'throw-away items are recycled in the garden. Last year I covered my strawberries with old lace curtains. The birds looked daggers at me.
Old wire coat hangers have a thousand uses; improvised staples, cloche supports, bean pole fasteners.
Have you made good garden use out of so called 'rubbish'?

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:Making summat from nowt
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2004, 18:14:03 »
I'm a huge fan of clear plastic pop bottles - mini-cloches, anti-slug rings, cut off bottoms for under little pots.  Unfortunately we don't drink pop, but my next door neighbour's kids get through loads and throws the empties over the garden fence for me!  I love to re-use stuff - I think it fits the whole philosophy of lottieing so I'd love to hear more ideas

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2004, 20:50:00 »
We have just re-done our shower room and got a new shower curtain, (to match the new colour scheme).  Guess where the old shower curtain and its rings are going?  ??? Yes up to the Lottie!  Thought I could fit a pole along side the new greenhouse (when it is built) and use it as a shade for the sun. Sure I can come up with a few more ideas for it.  I am like you Ceri, I am always determined to use anything thats going to be discarded, for the allotment. The old carpet tiles from the shower room have already gone under some wooden pallets that are forming paths at the side of our plot. :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

flowerbaby_uk

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2004, 23:55:35 »
me too ceri use me bottles for cloches plus rings to protect from slugs and use bottles sunk alongside deep drinking plants so they get lots of water to roots also use the bottle tops in strings across brassicas etc as makes a bit of racket to keeep birds off could fill a whole site with stuff i save and reuse why pay for something when uve got it it just needs customising  8)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 12:17:10 »
Everything that can be reused is!

I use plastic bottles as greenhouses, clear plastic bags for any pots that bottles don't fit on, collect used disposable plastic water cups from work to use as plant pots, 4-pint milk 'bottles' have the bottoms cut off to protect nearly planted things outside, when the plants grow too big, I cut the tops off - helps keep roots moist and cool, keeps slugs off and helps direct water to the roots.

'saucers' under plant pots are punnets/trays you get mushrooms, ready meals, etc in. Clear ones are also useful as greenhouses.

Labels are made by cutting up any other plastic that can't be used in the above way.

Polysterine packaging is used as crocks, especially when it's a deep pot and only a shallow-rooted plant - I then half fill the pot with polysterine.

Old carpet is used to line pots to help keep roots warmer in the winter. (I found loads of carpet off cuts in the loft when we moved in!)

cardboard boxes - used flat to keep cats off bare soil and help warm it up. Or used to line square pots.

Should I go on?
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2004, 12:53:10 »
Got a mass of pop bottles at the ready for all the uses you lot have mentioned, like you aqui I break up polystyrene to use as crocks,  the rods from the kids old play tent will be used to make another cloche to get my first row of carrots in at the weekend, freebie cd's were being used as birdscarers, but this is under review, as for yoghurt pots, egg boxes and other boxes and containers, they get recycled, but not by me, they go to the kids school for artwork.  Nothing terribly out of the ordinary really.  :-\

Ceri

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2004, 13:19:29 »
We have a new recycling scheme in Whitley Bay where you get a black plastic box to fill with stuff that is picked up every 2 weeks.  Mine hasn't gone out for 8 weeks (now the Christmas bottles have gone!) as I try and re-use first and recycle second. Once the Sunday newspapers in the compost heap, plastic milk cartons have been cut up for labels, pots etc. there's not much left!  Big plastic box is still useful though - just the right size to carry about the garden to throw weeds in when I'm handweeding!  

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2004, 13:25:41 »
Ceri - we have those boxes too - I use mine as a compost bin!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2004, 17:05:25 »
My old kingsize duvet is keeping my compost bin warm on the plot! I also reuse the pop bottles as mentioned above, Cd's as birdscarers yes, Old guttering for my peas, carpet for paths , all the usual stuff! I do have an old clothes airer that I use as a cloche, and drawers from an old chest that I have whacked the bottoms out of and have filled with soil for some lucky veg! DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2004, 19:06:19 »
my husband has said he will disown me unless i stop raiding other people's black recycling boxes for pop bottles etc!  8)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2004, 10:31:34 »
In this period of imminent digging times, a piece of hosepipe about 4" long, sliced along it's length will self grip onto the step of a spade. Makes for more cumfy digging.

bananagirl

• Half Acre
    • Bananagirl's Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2004, 12:34:25 »
Just spent 10 mins scrubbing out a big grout container to use for my tomato when it grows. Very satisfying, not to mention free thanks to my flatmates redoing the bathroom  :)
Nothing rhymes with orange...
http://downamongtheflowers.blogspot.com/

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2004, 11:32:47 »
To keep the ants away plant tansy or lavender close by.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2004, 12:37:37 »
Had some tansy in the last garden we had it, went beserk and rooted everywhere Ken.  Maybe lavender would be the better choice, (and smells much nicer) :D
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

rdak

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2004, 12:43:27 »
I think I heard that cinnamon powder is a good ant deterrant as well.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2004, 10:47:59 »
The old raspberry canes we cut out after fruiting make free pea sticks!

ScrumpyJack

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2004, 13:12:07 »
Wow,  whilst I'd started to do some of these, labels, pots etc, you've all given me plenty more ideas.  I haven't had to buy any seedtrays etc as yet and my waste has reduced dramatically, what with compost collection as well.  I am fast becoming a lottie hoarder, what I used to perceive as waste, is fast becoming a myriad of useful tools.

Xanadu

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2004, 10:52:06 »
If you or your kids drink lots of those Actimel drinking yoghurt. I saved the bottles and used it for putting it over the tops of canes. It protects you from unnecessary eye injuries.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2004, 13:41:48 »
Funny you should say that Xan as I have just started saving them myself for that reason.  Great minds think alike!  :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2004, 15:54:23 »
Those clear plastic bags you get your gardening mags and free seeds in are just the right size to slip over a small tray or about four small pots together to make a propagator. fasten the end with a wire tie, bit of string or rubber band from the postie or your washing up gloves.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal