Author Topic: Broccoli  (Read 2555 times)

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
Broccoli
« on: October 31, 2006, 20:20:30 »
I only took on my plot in June this year, and it had been neglected for some years before this. I was given some purple sprouting broccoli plants buy a neighbouring plot holder. I dug a bed, mixed in some garden compost - they clay soil is very heavy - and some general purpose fertiliser and planted them. I've kept them watered in dry spells, and they've grown well. However, instead of producing purple sprouting spears, each plant has produced a single large round purple head, like calabrese. I've checked with the donor, and the plants she kept for herself have all produced the sprouting spears as expected. She hasn't grown any calabrese, so it's unlikely they got mixed up. The other plants I was given were leeks curly kale and sprouts, so I don't think they got mixed up here, either.  I haven't used any sprays on them, but have just picked the caterpillars off, and part from a few holes in the leaves the plants are looking OK. I have cut a couple of the large heads, and they taste fine. I haven't grown broccoli before, so I'm curious to find out what has happened and what I've done wrong. Does anyone have any ideas?

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Broccoli
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 22:24:01 »
KK,
I reckon you have calabrese.
Purple sprouting broccoli if spring sown, matures in the next spring.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 23:18:42 »
Just accept it as one of lifes little mysteries and enjoy...
 ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 07:17:34 »
Funny - sure I read only yesterday of a Purple Broccoli that only produced one head. Can't find it now!

Nevertheless, I feel that yours is more likely to be a Purple Cauli?

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/smf/index.php/topic,24068.0.html

PS By 'large', you mean more than 2"? PSB will often produce a central head of that size before getting on with its job.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 08:03:39 by tim »

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 07:52:30 »
Thank you for all your contributions - it certainly gives food for thought (pun intended!) We had some more last night, and I'm planning a broccoli / cauliflower cheese for supper this evening. It certainly seems to be very versatile!

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 12:09:44 »
I also am new to PSB and this is my first year growing it. I followed the instructions on the packet, have had good germination and planted the plants out in late July to their permanent beds. All going well apart from the plants are now nearly 5ft tall, are they supposed to be this big - I thought they were the same size as tall brussel sprouts. I have staked them but are a bit worried they won't last the winter to produce shoots next year. Any advice gratefully received???

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 13:37:25 »
That was what I was worried about. I think I got an answer :)

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,91/topic,25404.0

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 14:18:03 »
I've had the same problem Kittycat.  They were definetly PSB seeds that I planted - sowed then in modules and gave some away which are turjning into lovelt PSB plants, but mine just have a single purple clump.

I've put it down to the fact that I seem to have clubroot on my new plot.  The plants have survived as I brought them on to a reasonable size in pots before planting out, but then they've just gone weird since planting out.  I pulled the weirdest looking ones up and indeed, found club root, spo am assuming that all the rest have got it.  Plants do strange things when they feel under attack and try to reproduce as quickly as possible.  Either that or we just don't know how to grow PSB  ;)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 14:43:19 »
Its just a funny year, I think?

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 18:07:57 »
I pulled up one of the broccoli plants today (the one that wasn't doing very well!) to have a look at the roots. No sign of club root as far as I can see - I compared it to the picture in the Vegetable Expert. Also, all my other brassicas (cabbage, kale etc) are doing well. I have had another thought. I seem to remember reading somewhere that broccoli like to be planted firmly? I think possibly that I didn't firm the soil enough round them because I was worried about compacting it being on clay. Also, the site is exposed and very windy - most plants have a list to the left! The other thing, I didn't add any lime - the soil's quite acid, so maybe this has upset them?

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 22:19:48 »
Thanks Barnowl for pointing me in the right direction. :)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 19:04:23 »
?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal