Author Topic: Transplanting Seedlings  (Read 2254 times)

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
Transplanting Seedlings
« on: April 11, 2006, 11:31:01 »
My aubergines are doing well, but since pricking them out and potting on they're going great guns and have grown up by about an inch more since re-potting only a few days ago.

They've got around 7 leaves on them, including the non-true two leaves.

What I don't know is, how deep are you supposed to plant seedlings? I've heard some people say they do it as deep as the leaves will allow, then I've heard others saying this isn't good for some things. Can anyone please help to demistify this for me? Many thanks.

cowellen

• Half Acre
Re: Transplanting Seedlings
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 22:25:08 »
My aubergines are doing well, but since pricking them out and potting on they're going great guns and have grown up by about an inch more since re-potting only a few days ago.

They've got around 7 leaves on them, including the non-true two leaves.

What I don't know is, how deep are you supposed to plant seedlings? I've heard some people say they do it as deep as the leaves will allow, then I've heard others saying this isn't good for some things. Can anyone please help to demistify this for me? Many thanks.
i would also like to know this - as I have sweetcorn, courgette, sprouts, cucumber, tomatoes and water melon - (i've got no aubergines ::))all kickin in my plastic greenhouse..

the water melon and cucumber (plus some toms) are going to be transplanted to my greenhouse (just as soon as its moved to the plot and erected) - should they be put in grow bags or pots ??? ???

and how big should sweetcorn be ?

any suggestions welcome - coz i'm new to this  :-[ ::) ??? ;)

amphibian

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 20:05:17 »
Melons should not be planted deep, indeed when planting out the root ball should be an inch above the soil level

cowellen

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 20:08:08 »
owww and what does the root ball look like -  :-[ :-[ :-[ sorry

amphibian

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 20:09:43 »
owww and what does the root ball look like -  :-[ :-[ :-[ sorry

It's just the soil that sticks with the plant when you remove the pot.

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 20:11:26 »
not sure on other stuff but I plant out my sweetcorn when its about 5" tall. Sprouts about 4",dont be too hasty on what you plant out cos of late frosts.

cowellen

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 20:14:27 »
amphibian-thanks - but still a bit confused - do i really leave roots with soil on em above the ground and plant all the other little dangly bits in the soil - or grow bag  :-[ .

grotbag - i better get the tape measure out coz all my little plants have shot up ... cheers ;)

amphibian

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 20:31:09 »
amphibian-thanks - but still a bit confused - do i really leave roots with soil on em above the ground and plant all the other little dangly bits in the soil - or grow bag  :-[ .

grotbag - i better get the tape measure out coz all my little plants have shot up ... cheers ;)

Basically with melons you shape the soil into a small mound, dig a hole in it with a trowel, then when remove the melon's pot. Most of the contents should remain together in a potless pot shape, you then plant this mass so that the surface of the pots soil lies about an inch above the level of the receiving soil.

like this...

cowellen

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 23:30:59 »
:o ;D WOW  - THANKS FOR THE PIC - I AM DAFT SOMETIMES - IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW -

CHEERS  ;D

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 07:58:39 »
that's why i like pics so much, my imagination isn't very good.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 10:33:45 »
Wow amphibian, perfect diagram, I am growing melons for the first time this year and now I know how to plant them! thank you ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2006, 10:45:54 »
And courgettes??

cowellen

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2006, 18:36:26 »
And courgettes??

i got a free dvd with a garden mag - and Monty Don planted his courgettes in a dip and made a little circle round them

sorry cant draw a pic  ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2006, 18:50:02 »
Just goes to show - there's room for everyone - I've always understood mounds for marrows!

cowellen

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2006, 20:55:24 »
hmm come to think  about it he could of sed mounds  :-[ i better keep advice to myself  :-X sorry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal