Author Topic: seed sowing  (Read 2001 times)

markyb23

• Half Acre
  • Bloke from Stoke
seed sowing
« on: March 05, 2004, 21:53:14 »
 hi everyone,
                 i've sown my first veggie seeds today, in pots,which i've put in my dads greenhouse.i've sown some cabbage,lettuce,onions and leeks.the greenhouse isn't heated.i'm just not sure how i should look after them.
  should they be covered in mini propogators or plastic bags or covered with a peice of glass and a sheet of newspaper.i'd appreciate any advice on how to get them to germinate and how to look after them.also,i'm using multi-purpose compost,is this ok for veggie seed sowing?
 any advice on seed sowing in general will be gratefully received.
    all the best.
               marky.b.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:seed sowing
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 23:01:55 »
Hiya marky and congratulations on your first sowing!  I am no way an expert, but, as I am the first to reply, I will tell you what I do (don't tell me off everyone if I am doing things wrong).  I use multi purpose compost, fill my pots or seed trays, and sow.  ;D  I always read the seed packet and if the seed packet says cover with plastic, I do, if it says don't deprive light, then I don't cover the seeds with compost, just surface sow, other than that, I lightly sprinkle the seeds over the compost, lightly cover, water with fine rosed watering can, label (if I remember  :-\) and leave in my greenhouse.  If a frosty night is forecast,  my little heater kicks in. My cabbages lettuce and leeks were up in a matter of days.  I'm sure yours will be to.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 23:02:41 by EJ - Emma Jane »

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2004, 12:54:38 »
Just to back up EJ's info' ( and save me typing it all out) you could click on the 'world' icon under my logo and you will get some more info' there.

The Gardener

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2004, 14:03:57 »
Gardenery, what a fantastic site.  Have bookmarked it as I will be making  frequent visits.  Thanks  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal