Author Topic: Building shed  (Read 2450 times)

Philbasford

• Acre
Building shed
« on: April 09, 2006, 17:49:14 »
Anyone here managed to build a shed from old door frames, or from window frames with timber supports, i am quite adapt when it comes to buillding things and have the time etc to do it,but just wondered what other people have managed

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Building shed
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 18:50:16 »
I take no credit for it, but my lottie neighbour is currently building his out of pallets (with a facing of tongue and groove). You can see it at the bottom right next to my plot. I'll try and take some better photos next time I'm there.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 19:16:38 »
built my shed and chicken house out of export packing cases, pretty much an instant shed, roof was made out of pallet lats and then covered with surplus roofing felt. Everyone on our site has identical windows for sheds and coldframes from when the council renewed a housing estates windows. They brought all the old metal framed ones to the allotments.

Pallet wood is good for shed building but if you are de-palletising (!) the wood it can be very time consuming

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 21:52:37 »
When I look around our allotment and see some of the excuses for sheds that have almost been built, I know the reason that some councils refuse to let people have sheds and greenhouses on their site lol

Rosemary

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 22:22:06 »
I think most Councils are against sheds because it encourages vandals and theives as they think you keep your most treasured possesions in them. ::)

I quite like the home made sheds, the more rickety the more appealing they are, anything goes on the lottie, keep it cheap and cheerful I say. ;D

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 12:05:52 »
I've already earmarked my old, battered, butchered french windows for conversion to a greenhouse.  The more we recycle, the better it is.  Also saves shedloads (er...) of cash, too.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 16:20:51 »
Today'ds progress

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 16:22:41 »
Please note the metal shed  frame in the plot behind which has been staggering about for about 6 months now. ;D ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 18:23:47 »
That looks like the remains of one of those plastic greenhouses.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 19:07:15 »
The shed frame in the background is a massive metal army shed frame.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 08:11:13 »
why isnt the soil black and waterlogged like mine (with bits of snow here and there)

BTW that shed is looking spot on

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 10:28:19 »
With the risk of sounding stupid, if a frame was made like that out of pallets and then covered in clear polythene, would it be suitable as a greenhouse? Or is there not enough light that gets in?
  Thanks. :)

robsa

• Quarter Acre
    • Cambourne Allotment Website
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 11:07:21 »
Grawc,

Can you give some more details about his construction method? How has he done the base? Are the walls from stripped pallet wood or are they whole pallets? What about framing for the door?

Any hints would be appreciated.

Maybe you could ask him to draw up a plan and instructions  :)

Robin

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 11:34:57 »
If any of you are lucky enough to have a large scale screen printers in the area you may be able to get a whole load of useful things. From the one source we can pick up solid pallets suitable for whole floors or walls measuring about 3.5M x 2.5M. and the low boxes car number plates come in suitable for raised beds. They also throw away lengths of 4" x 4". Printers also throw away 3ft x 2ft x 1" boards which come on the top of each load of paper, so one of the workers delivers vanloads of them to our site. Sheds have been buit almost entirely out of them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal