Author Topic: Please can I feed my poor fish again?  (Read 3238 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Please can I feed my poor fish again?
« on: March 06, 2004, 22:22:27 »
Hi Everyone,

Have just returned from a long holiday abroad and notice that my goldfish are swimming close to the surface on a daily basis.

Does this mean they are looking for me to feed them? They all look plump and healthy so should I start feeding them now or wait another month?

This has been my first winter with my pond, so I could use some advice please.

TIA

Tricia

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Re:Please can I feed my poor fish again?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2004, 13:14:32 »
Hi Tricia - I think it is probably a little too early to start feeding your fish yet as the temperature of the water could go down rapidly if we get some more cold nights.  I think you will find they will be ok.  Mine come up to the surface every time I look into the pond.  They are probably just pleased to see you again ;D ;D  If you have weed in your pond they will not starve and there are always little creatures in ponds they can feed on.  Margaret will probably advise you more fully - she is the expert here ;) :)

Hope you enjoyed your holiday - where did you go?
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Chloe

• Half Acre
  • I am very proud of that
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2004, 13:24:13 »
Hi Tricia,
Mine are always up at the top of the pond now, and I never feed them at all.  So they must just  like to be seeing you again :)
Chloe:)

petmas

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2004, 14:49:20 »
I feed mine all year through, though less in the winter. never had any problems.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2004, 16:12:08 »
Thank you all for your advice :).

I now feel happier about not feeding them till April. I didn't know that the water temperature was a factor on when to stop or start feeding, so thanks for that. There is plenty of weed and I notice they are nibbling on that. Maybe it is all a question of where you live and the experience of people in your locality? I live in Torbay which is considerably milder than some places, but even here we had a frost last week severe enough to freeze the pond surface till around mid-day. I was glad of the plastic ball I have floating in the water!

Chloe never feeds and Petmas always feeds, but the concensus seems to be - don't feed in winter, and I think I'll stick with that for the time being.

As to where I went Patricia - I spent just over a month visiting my sister in Calgary, Canada, an English friend who now lives in Colorado, USA and a lass I 'met' playing Scrabble on the internet who lives on a ranch in Wyoming! I had a fabulous time in each location, but particularly in Wyoming, where I saw more wildlife in three days than I've ever seen outside a zoo in my life! We drove round the periphery of Yellowstone National Park, which is not open to vehicles in winter, and saw in large numbers, white-tailed deer, mule deer, longhorned sheep plus a pair of American eagles (up really close). The following day it was moose, antelope and elk - fantastic! I took hundreds of photos with my new digi-camera. Sorry - this is rather off-topic, but you did ask! ;D

Tricia

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2004, 16:33:59 »
Hi Tricia.The reason you should not feed fish in winter is that when the water temperature drops below 8 degrees the fish cannot digest their food because their body temperature also drops and all their body functions slow up.The food will then sit there in their gut and rot,making them feel very poorly.

The first year I had fish i did not know this and so I kept on with the food.If they take it,it causes problems,and if they don't it will pollute the water which of course will still then affect the fish.I lost a few the next spring.Since then i have never fed from about November till at least April,but you can test the water with a thermometer and when it is above 8 and likely to stay that way,start them off on wheatgerm pellets,which are easily digested .Provided fish have been fed well and on good food throughout the siummer they will not come to any harm.I have done this now for 13 years and not had a problem.
Margaret

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2004, 18:39:29 »
Tricia - told you you'd get plenty of advice here - they are a very knowledgeable lot ;D

As for going off the subject, don't worry we do it all the time, start off talking about one thing and ending up discussing something completely different.  All adds to the fun of things and getting to know one another better :) :)  Sounds like you had a great holiday, just the sort I would like seeing all the animals.  Didn't know you could play scrabble on the net though - one of my favourite games :D
Happy gardening all...........Pat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal