Author Topic: When to plant out bean plants?  (Read 2003 times)

Sprout

• Acre
When to plant out bean plants?
« on: April 06, 2006, 19:31:47 »
I'm growing dwarf beans for the first time and have recently started off 8 in root trainers on the window sill.

In only a short space of time they have become massive, being about 6" above the top of the root trainer although with only 1 pair of true leaves. Now I know how Jack (of beanstalk fame) felt. ;D

At what point should I plant them out?
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
Re: When to plant out bean plants?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 20:02:39 »
you,re eager sprout,I wouldnt plant out till early to mid may,depending on frost,this is quite a good site http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/index.htm .

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 20:15:50 »
Yes I agree there, mid May at the earliest. Basically keep them indoors as long as you can.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 21:44:47 »
I don't plant mine out until the very end of May, beginning of June.  Won't sow in pots until the end of this month, start of next.

MM

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 07:14:48 »
Hi Sprout

Have you anywhere to put them say in a cold greenhouse,coldframe say late April to harden them off after the window sill if kept on the windowsill they may become leggy and weak? The warm temps have obviously drawn them out out v quickly. I have some Bolloti beens in the same condition!!
Chris Pea

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 08:30:55 »
I planted mine out on May 1st last year on the south coast which was a beautiful of a day. shortly thereafter followed a very cold spell which they didnt not appreciate one little bit, so I would definartely agree with the others and err on the side of caution.  If they got too huge begore then maybe pot them on and put in green house (and remember to harden off ). At least they will have a good start when they do finally go out. Perhaps you could make a second sowing as well and then you would get beans later in the season. :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 09:15:52 »
My French beans packet says sow under glass in March, plant out May-June. Happy to take advice but I was thinking of sowing indorrs at the start of MAy?

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 09:26:59 »
Yes grawrc, you can sow under glass in March, assuming you have the warmth and light to sustain the germinated seed. Considering your northern location, I think you have it about right. Even in my Midlands location, I will not be sowing into trays in the greenhouse until after Easter. Also I tend to stagger my plantings just in case there are any rogue frosts ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 10:03:05 »
grawrc - I sowed mine in march last year and by the time I put them out (mid-May) they were about two foot long. They all promptly died. This year I will be waiting until late April to sow.
gone to pot :D

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 10:15:56 »
Cheers, dudes! :D
Looks like I may have jumped the gun a bit. I have a plasticy greenhouse thing in the back garden so I'll put them in there next week for while and wait a few more weeks before starting the next batch.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 17:13:39 »
I go by the saying that you plant them when the swallows return. 11th May traditionally. I wonder if swallows have calendars??
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 18:14:02 »
Last year my plants were hit by frost in mid-June, that's why I splashed out on Poundland cloches. This year I'm being ultra-careful.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 18:58:19 »

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 19:27:16 »
Last year - my first - I started climbing french beans off in newspaper pots, which worked a charm, and planted them out quite late (2nd week in June) because of frosts.

A couple of weeks later I shoved the same type of bean seeds direct in the ground. These promptly germinated, grew like crazy, and started cropping only a few days after the newspaper potted ones. They had a heavier crop, too.

As a result, I'll do fewer of the newspaper potted ones this year (enough for some early meals), and a lot more of the direct sown (have the seed in the ground at the end May/start June)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal