Author Topic: Basic onion question  (Read 1903 times)

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
Basic onion question
« on: April 06, 2006, 22:36:35 »
How should I prepare the soil for onion sets?
I've already turned it over with the rotivator, but should I compact it before I plant them? Or leave it loose?

(never done them before)
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: Basic onion question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 22:45:17 »
I'm not sure but if it is too loose the birdies will pull em out. that much I do know ;)

cliff_the_gardener

• Quarter Acre
  • Puschkina libanotica
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 22:47:41 »
Onions like a fine  soil so you are ok.  Get them in, plant rows 10in appart and space the sets out at 3-4in.   Just push them into the ground, so that the top of the onion is just above ground level.  Gently press the soil around the set to firm the soil.   The birds may have a go at tugging them out, if they do, just push them back.
Clifford

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 07:10:15 »
sounds good to me cliff. I have found they get off to a better start in modules and then into the ground.
Chris Pea

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 07:31:08 »
Sorry to contradict you Cliff but you should never push an onion into the ground (or so the experts say) dib a shallow hole drop in pointy end up/ roots down and cover

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 09:15:06 »
Rake in a light dusting of lime just before You plant them ,,Then use a trowel to set them  burying them till just the top of the tip  is showing ..I use a little pointing trowel . Don't push them  in as it compresses the  soil at their base so when roots  start growing they then push some of your sets out of ground .
cheers ..Jim
Cheers .. Jim

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 10:12:35 »
You may find it easier to take out a drill first and plant the sets out into that, rather than individual planting holes.you can then backfill the drill and cover the sets to the required depth. The drill sould be deep enough to take the set and leave just the tip showing above the soil.

This is something i tried for the first time this year and found it a good way to plant onions.

petuariapete

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 10:31:51 »
... but you should never push an onion into the ground (or so the experts say)

Pushing them into the ground compacts the soil below, making it more difficult for the roots to get established.

PP
Cauliflower and sprouts are the Devil's banquet!

cliff_the_gardener

• Quarter Acre
  • Puschkina libanotica
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 10:46:55 »
I take on board what you are saying with regards pushing the set into the ground and soil compaction, put provinding you gave a fine tilth to start with, it shouldn't be problem.  Certainly caused me no issues

Jimmy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 10:56:35 »
A sheet of old net curtain on top for a few weeks until they have grown good roots should also keep the birds at bay.

The little darlings are busy building their nests and that little green shoot sticking out of the beautiful brown tilth must look very appealing.

As for pushing, as long as you are not really using any force and they just slide in, that sould be no problem.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 11:53:14 »
Agree with Jimmy. My soil was very loose, just used fingers to scrape a hole and pop them in, no problems at all. Not even lost any to birds.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 12:02:12 »
Yes, I always rake well before planting sets and don't encounter problems (generally). An alternative to nets is fleece of course.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

robsa

• Quarter Acre
    • Cambourne Allotment Website
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 12:04:12 »
As regards pushing sets into the ground, I read that it's fine for onions but you can damage the basal plate (where the roots come from?) of garlic cloves if you do this.

Robin

Jimmy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 15:24:10 »
The roots come out of the bottom for onions as well and to be honest, as long as you only need to push gently, you should be OK. No putting all your weight down on it  :)

Some of mine are brought on in modules so have their roots already growing and these are dibbed with trowel handle and popped in pushing very gently.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal