Author Topic: Leaky Pond Edge!  (Read 3398 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Leaky Pond Edge!
« on: March 23, 2006, 19:19:57 »
Can anyone offer some advice on how to prevent/stop this. I have nearly completed my pond (all bar plants), and have manaded to neatly hide the edges of the liner with gravel and upsidedown turves. I recently noticed that the area around the edges of the pond were getting wet and the pond was loosing water. I discovered that where i had buried the edge of the liner i had caused the edge to slope away from the pond allowing water to escape. To fix this i reedged the pond and made sure the liner edge was now flat so that the water didnt have the chance to escape. The eding was replaced and the liner edge  trimmed and buried with soil.

However upon looking at it again this evening it appeared that yet again there was a damp area around the outside of the pond that hadnt been there before. It wasnt as bad as the previous time nor had the water level dropped as much as before, but it looks as if the same thing has happened again. Now it had been a windy day so its possible that this could have caused some seepage over the edges, and I intend to 'wait and see' if any more water escapes. If it does I will need to do something about it and thats where i need the advice. What can i do about it please? It is the only thing spoiling the pond at the moment.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Leaky Pond Edge!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 20:55:12 »
I find this happens occasionally on our wildlife pond with the "soft" edges. it's usually down to hedgehogs, herons, squirrels or crows coming to drink or steal and battering the edges down. I just "redo" the edge. Planting so as to conceal the edge  stops them from accessing the edges but then even frogs seem to dent them a bit. :'(

The bit where we have a sloping bank with pebbles needs to be redone at least twice a year because of wildlife (or maybe cocker spaniels) rolling the pebbles down into the pond as they drink.

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 07:37:59 »
Could the turf be working like a syphon as with capillary matting watering systems?

Brian

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 18:12:01 »
Yes. If water makes contact with it.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 18:33:46 »
Hmm interesting, I dont think there has been time for wildlife to do any damage.  I did wontder if the turves might suck water out of the pond. I am starting to wonder though if the edges might not be as level as they ought to be  ??? ::)

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 19:25:30 »
Try replacing the loose material making your slope with a mortar mix of 4 sand/1cement, using this to get a level, and finally spreading pebbles over the soft mix and tamping them into the surface with a wood float. This will stand up to wildlife traffic, and still look good, spread loose pebbles on top too.

Brian

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 19:53:53 »
Erm it's under water. Above water there isn't a problem.

slippy fly

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 22:38:30 »
Sounds to me like the edges arent level.This happened to a pond I built.I would leave it a few days and see if the water level drops.You might find then that if the water level does drop and you will be able to see how unlevel the edges are.
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool,
he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me
then come out fighting on the other side."
Bill Shankly

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 09:31:54 »
Two main possibilities:
1. The edges aren't level
2. Something is acting as a siphon and draining water out.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 11:36:54 »
Thanks for replies.  I have left the pond alone and the water level has dropped slightly. However the amount of liner showing appears even and level so I think the edges are OK for level. Its possible the turves are siphoning water out, but i cant see how since they are no longer in contact with the water!

All I can think of is that the liner has several creases and folds where it moulded itself to the shape of the hole. These are there despite best efforts to straighten them out when filling with water. I am wondering if one or more of these are providing an escape route for water above a certain level, hence the even drop in water level.

I am not sure what I can do about these  other than turning the liner up around the outside of the turf edging to create a 'lip' and block the water's escape routes. I do then risk having the end of the liner sticking up above soil level and looking unsightly.

Any ideas ona solution please?

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 12:33:26 »
How much has the level dropped? If it's only a few inches and then stopped, personally I'd take advantage of the situation and plant a bog garden.

If the leak's only around the top edge, then you shouldn't lose too much water.. if you are, maybe the leak's elsewhere?

Melanie

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 18:25:38 »
I discovered some years ago that I lost more water to the wind than all other causes put together, particularly when I used to have a fountain. My pond is about 10,000 gallons, and on a windy day I can see the ground get wet downwind of the pond - but the rain usually restores the level.
If you have a shallow waterslide, strong winds - & we do get 'em in Haverigg, will cause considerable evaporation, & you could spend a lot of time looking for a non-existant leak!
JeremyB

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 09:48:46 »
decided recently that turf edging was not the best option for the pond. it did seem to be sucking up an awfull lot of water. Have now replaced the turf with stone which besides not sucking up water, looks nicer and is fairly local (its purbeck or portland limestone).

However the probelm of water loss is still there albeit reduced. I am hoping it is just evaporation, we have been having some cold dry winds and sunny days lately, and the pond hasnt got any plants in yet to cover the water surface. So I am hoping that once the plants are in the problem will go away. If not then  it means i have a small leakabout an inch from the rim of the pond, which would be most annoying.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 08:35:42 »
I can't resist telling you about a conversation I had with our Chairman yesterday. He's recently extended his pond and now has a problem. Apparently the water's too low on one side! He told me he was going to add more water on that side later although the level on the other side's fine!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 09:13:14 »
Hope his job doesn't involve geometry/ spatial awareness ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal