Author Topic: cutting seed potatoes  (Read 2102 times)

veggie perin

• Not So New ...
cutting seed potatoes
« on: April 04, 2006, 22:48:46 »
as I'm a newbie, I'd like some advice on planting seed tatties, I read on a sight that cutting into 1" pieces( each one with at least one eye) encourages them to form good root system as they have very little flesh to feed on, or should i put whole ones or half ones in ..your thoughts on this would be appreciatedveggie

scotch-mist

• Acre
Re: cutting seed potatoes
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 00:10:44 »
Hi vegie perin,
                     I was told to cut the chitted seed potatoes in half , with some eyes in each side too.

I asked an old hand whose son owns the local nursary and he told me this was done years ago to get a bigger crop, and that it wouldn't do any harm.

I expect this would work with 1" ones as well,
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 00:15:03 by scotch-mist »
UNDER PRESSURE (constantly)

petuariapete

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 05:39:26 »
In the past, I have throw potato peelings on the compost heap and have cropped some potatoes from them. So I think the answer to your question is yes.
Cauliflower and sprouts are the Devil's banquet!

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 10:15:24 »
you know I never though about it, but I cut big tubers in half making sure there are healthy sprouts on either bit.  Me gran did it so I do it too.

I get the usual crop from both, neither better nor worse as far as I can tell, just an extra plant's worth.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

cliff_the_gardener

• Quarter Acre
  • Puschkina libanotica
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 00:21:09 »
When I was a lad 1970's - I helped on the farm cutting potatoes and setting them out on wooded chitting trays.  One reason for doing it was to save money.  Incresed yield of sets to plant.
Clifford

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
  • Bit of digging - it'll be fine
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 10:21:21 »
Turning our compost the other day found 5 potato plants sprouting from old peelings. Planted them out so will see what happens!

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 10:53:53 »
Do you have to protect the newly exposed flesh with anything?

Jon

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 10:58:48 »
my OH's dad planted marfona from peelings last year, worked brilliantly (tasty!!)

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 18:03:55 »

Jon

as some people know myself and my family used to be market gardeners, we used to cut the larger seed potatoes in half and dip them in lime to help seal the cut. Seemed daft to be at the time when you think that potatoes do not like lime.  My Dad always adviced me not to cut early variates , why I do not know I shall have to ask the question. But seeing my Dad told me not to do it I shall respect his knowledge and wiser knowhow.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 23:07:57 »
Jonny211,
              I should have said before, that was one of the questions I asked the "old hand" and he said that he never did ;)

Richard Kinson,
                       I didn't ask about firsts but will take your fathers advice ;)
and leave well alone ;D
UNDER PRESSURE (constantly)

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 09:42:40 »
My Grandad used to cut big seed spuds in half .He then dipped cut end in flowers of sulphor.   I never thought about this till I read this thread but  as flowers of sulphor lift acidic in soil as in lowering ph .. I wonder if this  helped to prevent scab .....Think the owd un's knew more than we credited em with   :)   Anyone any ideas on this??
Cheers ..Jim
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 09:47:13 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

cliff_the_gardener

• Quarter Acre
  • Puschkina libanotica
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 10:41:44 »
Sulphur acts as a fungicide, which is why the cut face of potato was diped in it

petuariapete

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 10:42:45 »

I never do and haven't had any problems...so far!

PP
Cauliflower and sprouts are the Devil's banquet!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2006, 18:10:03 »
VP,

1. All you need to produce some tubers is one sprout but if you want a reasonable yield then several sprouts is a better bet.

2. The sprouts do need a good base from which to grow if you are going to plant them 4" deep in the ground

Taking these 2 points into account, a 1" cube with one sprout is not kikely to give good results. Cutting tubers works and is advisable if the seed tubers are large, the ideal is hen's egg sized. So you can cut them down to that size with around 3 sprouts you should have a viable crop.

If you want lots of tubers from a single seed you can take cuttings, for this your 1" cube with one sprout is ideal. Grow these on in a 3" pot in a greenhouse, polyunnel or south facing window ledge until you have a healthly sized plant (5" tall). Harden off and plant out with the bottom of the plant 4" below the surface level (so the top will be just above surface level). Earth up as you would "normally" planted seed tubers and you should have a reasonable crop.

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal