Author Topic: Ambitious frog  (Read 2475 times)

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
Ambitious frog
« on: April 04, 2006, 20:47:09 »
My frog's been particularly ambitious (or successful) this year. I don't know much about them apart from bits I've read on the internet. Has anybody any suggestions what I might do about this amount of spawn? I'm tempted to let things take their course but it's going to be fearfully overcrowded at some point soon.

Thanks. Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: Ambitious frog
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 09:59:59 »
Oh My Goodness. Thats a helluva lot of frogspawn for such a small pond. I doubt though all will survive to become new frogs - too crowded for one thing. If they do (against all odds) then you wont be able to move for frogs!

Heaven help the local slugs and snails then!  ;D

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 11:17:58 »
Geoff,I hope you don't mind me suggesting that if you take out the majority of the rushes you have in the middle of your pond you would then have some more room.This would make space for more insect life to feed the hungry tadoples.But i would also see if anyone locally has a pond bereft of spawn,or whether ther is a local nature pond that you could put it into.Be careful though to put it out of the way of children who make take it home and keep it in a jar,where the tadpoles will just starve to death.

It may be that with this cold weather a lot will die off before it hatches,but if you push a little further down you may save enoughto survive.Tadpoles can be given a little fish flake when they are free swimming if there is not enough insect life.
Margaret

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 19:45:58 »
Thank you for that Margaret. I shall attend to the undergrowth shortly, which is part of the spring clean anyway (and those rushes have serious roots too). I've asked a couple of people if they need any spawn but their frogs seem to be as fertile as mine, but will keep asking. I assume by fish flake, you mean the stuff they feed to domestic fish. I've never had to do that before but I'll keep a close eye on things.

Thanks again. ;D

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 21:01:56 »
Tadpoles love lettuce too! ;D ;D

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 13:47:02 »
I heard that too, agapanthus. I also heard you have to boil it first, then chop it up.

Geoff.

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 15:44:36 »
and when that runs out I've heard they're partial too each other!

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 17:01:16 »
Yes, survival of the fittest Anthony. I suppose that might reduce my numbers a bit. :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 18:56:53 »
...then there's the ones the birds get... or the frogs..

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal