Author Topic: planting potatoes  (Read 4175 times)

Philbasford

• Acre
planting potatoes
« on: April 04, 2006, 18:22:55 »
Ive put potatoes in 2 weeks ago, i havent done this before and am thinking ive put them in to deep, i was told to put them in about a spades depth which i did, but then ive earthed them which i think was a mistake, should i remove the "earthing up" as i dont want to have buried them!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: planting potatoes
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 18:29:00 »
'Normally' - 5" & earth up as they grow. Who are these folk who perpetuate these ideas??

Really don't know - but think no panic - they'll just take  much longer to show?

While planting garlic recently, I buried shallots at the same depth. Instead of the typical 9 per plant, I got 25. So..............?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 18:35:59 »
I don't think your spuds are going to have any problem; I've had accidentals coming up from deeper than that many times.

philandjan

• Half Acre
  • It wasn't us!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 19:36:42 »
You might be glad you put them so deep if the late frosts come as threatened.

Our ground is still too boggy to consider putting spuds in yet. Maybe at Easter if it remains dry.

We must apologise to anybody who is affected by the hosepipe bans - we've got all of the water on our allotment!
Once upon a time we were the newbies from Harley allotments. Now we're old codgers!

amphibian

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 19:39:07 »
Well mine were going in on Sunday, but sowing was called off for flooding, tomorrow was my new date, now called off, as we are expecting frost overnight.

Philbasford

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 21:06:26 »
Thanks guys when the frosts have gone i can always remove some of the earthing up

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 23:08:11 »
Philbasford, we always plant ours pretty deep and earth up - means you don't have to earth up as the leaves show AND they are safe from frosts. We reckon the extra bit work at the beginning saves effort in the long run.  I certainly wouldn't remove any of the earthing up.

Put our first earlies (Lady Christl) in just today so feel thigns are on the move at alst thank goodness.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 07:10:07 »
has anybody got there potatoes in the north as it still seems so cold and wet for them to get away well , still frosts at night as well.

Thanks
Chris Pea

amphibian

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 07:50:52 »
has anybody got there potatoes in the north as it still seems so cold and wet for them to get away well , still frosts at night as well.

Thanks

We've had overnight frost in Kent, so it ain't just grim up north.

Philbasford

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 08:38:48 »
Wicker How deep did ya plant yours?,  One of the chaps on my allotment has already planted his main crop as apparantley saves them from slug damage later in the season

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 09:49:56 »
Hi Phil , Left as they are earthed up they will grow ok just be a bit longer poking their shoots through soil ..
Might be a good thing too.. As I looked out of window early this morning everything was white over  with frost...Cheers ..Jim
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 09:52:31 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

johnslottie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 14:09:58 »
Regards planting in the north, nobodys planting here yet, but it does depend on what you mean by north...
Let there be sun!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 14:14:56 »
I planted Kestrel - second earlies today. I've already done LAdy Christll and Orla.

Cat

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 15:34:30 »
I've planted my first crop of potatoes too...Lady Cristl and main crop Cara both at the same time.  Oh and I didn't earth them up but will do when I'm back there on Monday (dad telling me to, although he calls it banking!).
Sometimes we just need a helping hand!

sjg12

• Quarter Acre
  • Sunny Morecambe????
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 15:40:07 »
From Lancashire (Morecambe)  and not putting spuds out yet, the ground is way too damp most of the plots were under water at the weekend.....

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 16:18:25 »
Put my first earlies out - dug trench, dibbed hole, popped spuds in, covered in compost, drew down an inch or two of earth on top, will draw down some more at weekend. Next week will put out second earlies in same manner.

Don't know what I'm doing but seems logical?
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 16:45:51 »
This is NOT a lecture. John? Phil??
Varieties have their own preferred depth. 4-5" is typical.
And I'm sure that you must let the leaves do their thing before you cover them by moulding, otherwise the thingies don't form on the stem.

Whatever the oldies may say.

These are the last - Cara - in today.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 17:17:29 by tim »

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 16:49:43 »
From http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_november_1a_potato.asp:

Dig a trench about 10cm (4in) deep, placing the potatoes in it with the sprouts pointing upwards. Hand fill the trench over the potatoes trying to avoid damaging any sprouts. Scatter bonemeal or similar long lasting fertiliser over the top soil and rake it in.

Frost damage is the first concern in the early stages. If shoots emerge above the soil level and frost threatens, draw a little soil from the bed edges over them.

After the potatoes plants have grown to about 20cm (8in) pull up the soil in between the rows around the plants leaving a few centimetres still showing. Repeat the exercise in two to three weeks time.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 16:52:01 »
My trench was about a spit deep but I suppose by the time I'd added shredded paper and stuff the potatoes were probably 5-6 inches deep? Then I filled in the trench.

When I planted the Kestrel today I was about 4-5 inches deep filled in the earthed up. I imagine both lots are actually the same depth below the surface.

The last few days here it has been tshirt weather during the day dropping to 2/3 degrees at night. I think the potatoes are well enough protected. If the temp goes down lower I'll stick a fleece on top.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 18:12:56 »
We are all different!! ;D Philbasford, we dig a trench about a spade deep place potatoes in (nothing underneath), pull some earth over, scatter potato fertiliser and then  and draw up on both sides to form a ridge which again is about 12 ins high so potatoes are pretty deep in - as I say works for us but everyone has their own way and the darned things just seem to grow anyway!  Haven't got second earlies in yet tho but their bed is ready......
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal