Author Topic: What's In Your Greenhouse?  (Read 5610 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
What's In Your Greenhouse?
« on: April 04, 2006, 01:31:11 »
;D

Now I am a woman of property with a greenhouse on my new plot.....eeeek!!! What should i have in it now? There is no staging and a border each side. Planning to move all windowsill seedlings to their new home briefly to harden off (?) but what else should i be doing? Never had a greenhouse before so all advice welcome!!

;)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
Re: What's In Your Greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 07:50:43 »
I've got a single row of early carrots down the centre of each of the three borders.

I plan on planting tomatoes behind these and chillis & aubs in front. Hopefully the carrots will be coming out when everything else is going in :o

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 09:56:37 »
glow, what a brill idea, our garden is still under construction and i've been trying to think of what i can do before all raised beds have been made, and seeing as though my borders are just being used for shelves right now, i'll plant some nantes early
cheers glow   :)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 10:27:26 »
Just for seedlings here, and potting on. There are broad beans and peas germinating on trays of compost. Sweetcorn will go onto trays soon too.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 12:39:08 »
In my case the question would have to be "What's your greenhouse in?".  Answer would be a large cardboard box and some polythene packs for the glass.  :)

I'm planning on as many seedlings as I can cram in, when it does get erected.  To free up my conservatory windowsills.  ::)

And later on, tomatoes, melons, cucumbers, and any other idea I pinch from this forum.l  :D
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 13:00:27 »
EVERYTHING  ;D I've even got potatoes in there for 'extra earlies'!

Permanent fixtures over the Summer (when the seedlings are out) will be tomatoes, cucumbers, grapes, aubergines & basil (fingers crossed!)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 17:04:12 »
EVERYTHING  ;D I've even got potatoes in there for 'extra earlies'!

Permanent fixtures over the Summer (when the seedlings are out) will be tomatoes, cucumbers, grapes, aubergines & basil (fingers crossed!)

You want any thai basil seeds, Trixie? Really easy to germinate & grow on. PM me if you do. - Lishka

Like the idea of 'extra earlies' :D

Seedlings at the mo, mostly mine but also 47 foster children (2 in Intensive Care under pop bottle cloches) for a friend.....haven't done all my seedlings yet tho...

Permanent in the summer....tomatoes, cucumbers, chillies, basil, thai basil - and anything else I can cram into my 6' x 4' space ;D

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 19:42:30 »
You want any thai basil seeds, Trixie? Really easy to germinate & grow on. PM me if you do. - Lishka

....pretty please lishka...if you could spare me just afew I'd lurve some!!

What do they taste like?

And what do you use yours in...

Debs

Two Choices

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 20:51:31 »
Not very much space!

Edible
10 chili plants (about 3 inches tall)
Tomatoes - 5 x Beefsteak, 12 x gardners Delight and 6 x Tumbling Tom(about 8 -9 inches tall)
20 Lollo Rosso Lettuces (half to grow inside)
6 Dwarf Bean plants (planning to let them crop inside)
Flowers
60 Rudbeckia (Marmalade)
30 Dahlia (from seeds)
80 Asters
300 Begonias (from seed)
And a few Geraniums that survived the winter.

Tomatoes and Chillies were on a heated bed until today - now replaced by the Begonias

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 21:10:16 »
i went a bit mental with seeds and trying out a new parrafin heater and have hundreds of wee babies!!...3 types of tomatoes, chilli, basil, chives, thyme, sprouts, cabbage,  red onions,  white onions, cucumber, 2 types of leeks, celery, cauliflower, carrots and broccoli, and loadsa flowers started off too. poor weans are being force fed yoghurts so i can get the wee pots!! There are three new people in our allotmentst and it will be nice to help out anyone who needs some as so many people helped me out when i started off last year and didn't know what side up to plant seeds. learned loads through mistakes.  tomato seeds for hanging baskets havent peeked through yet, but i'm ever hopeful. i,ve got them all on shelves made from planks of wood placed on upturned florists buckets.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 21:19:34 »

....pretty please lishka...if you could spare me just afew I'd lurve some!!

Debs

PM me your addy? :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 21:28:41 »
Mine is in my garden and has staging both sides.  I have my tender plants, cuttings galore, and a selection of seedlings and young plants, both veggies and flowers.  My first batch of tomatos went out there today.  After mid April to the start of May, once everything is when it is meant to be, and I can sow direct rather than mollycoddle seedlings, I will fill the greenhouse with things like melons, chillis, aubergines and okra.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 21:34:47 »
Okra, Emma? Is that this year's experiment or have you managed to grow it before? How many okra does one plant produce? I'd never dreamed of trying to grow it, thought that one needed a really hot climate that our normal g/houses couldn't reproduce - got that wrong, obviously :-[ Love okra too.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 21:39:05 »
Nope, tis this years challenge!  Never grown it before, and I don't know anyone that has....anyone?

Tis one of those things that none of my lot like, but I adore so am considering it a luxury crop just for me like my asparagus and globe artichokes.  I plan to sow the seeds tomorrow.  Most seed companies stock them - mine is called Star of David. I shall have to post photos as I go!

Lish, if you want me to bung some seeds in the post, PM me your addy and I will sort them out.  ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 22:43:13 »
OK EJ UR ON  ;D ;D ;D

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 08:28:54 »
In my case the question would have to be "What's your greenhouse in?".  Answer would be a large cardboard box and some polythene packs for the glass.  :)

my answer would be - the hall !  hope to get it looking a bit more like a greenhouse today (especially as the OH has just announced he is feeling rougher than rough as well as me and won't be going into work either - what a pair of sick notes we are).

in the two mini-greenhouses i've got some sweetpeas, fuschia, helichrysum and geranium cuttings from last year, big pots of lilies, little pots of lilies, marigolds, sunflowers potted up yesterday, and some salad leaves.  i keep looking at the plot thinking there's just not going to be enough room  :P
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 11:02:59 »
Far too much to list. Okra is a real challenge-it will grow and has beautiful flowers but I never get many so I have given up :-[.  and I never did get a caper to germinate.

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 23:07:13 »
not that much, since the frost came last night and our heater didn't do what it should. Pants.!

Aylana

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 14:05:01 »
Old carboard boxes, broken pots, bamboo canes, newspapers and bramble (and I found a shoe in there the other day  ??? ) 

Haven't finished emptying it of all the rubbish yet, but will have to do it soon!

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2006, 14:18:06 »
2 pots radish, 1 pot carrots (see what happens), 2 pots leeks, red cabbage seedlings; pak choi, lettuce & swiss chard (for cut-and-come-again); spring onion modules, 2" pots of not-yet-germinated purple sprouting broccoli and black kale, comandeered windowbox full of germinated cima di rapa (to be returned by early june), and a seedtray of oriental greens for CCA.

Also: dustpan and brush, disinfectant, old towel, chair, mug, book, compost, cleaned pots and trays, pencils, odds and sods, one mousehole and a patient cat.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal