Author Topic: Do we like cacti ?  (Read 3110 times)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
Do we like cacti ?
« on: March 29, 2006, 07:22:37 »
Had this one for a couple of years now and it's the first time i've seen it flower (apart from when i bought it).
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

montanum

• Half Acre
Re: Do we like cacti ?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 14:00:19 »
I don't dislike Cacti and we do have some in a north facing conservatory.The types we grow are the epiphytic cactus which do not like full sun. They stand outside during the summer on a north wall and reliably flower each year.
                     Aporocactus flagelliformis ( Rats tail cactus )

Epiphyllum Types

From The Mountains

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 15:14:07 »
Oooh after seeing these pictures I have to say I do like cacti !

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 17:12:20 »
Reminds me of years ago. My stepfather had dozens of cacti in his conservatory. We were going on a family visit and my sister-i-l (she worked in a nursery) bought him a cacti plant. When we read about it according to the info it only bloomed every seven years. Luckily it bloomed that year, my stepfather was 91 at the time!!! He did actually live to the age of 96.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 17:13:19 »
I like the Mammillaria. I used to gave a greenhouse full when I was in Cornwall, but I haven't grown any for years.

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 18:57:16 »
Phwoar, those photos make me want to rush out and buy more cacti. Fantastic stuff!

I bought 2 Rebutia hybrids from Tatton Flower Show last year and I'm really surprised that they covered in flower buds already. Will definitely be posting photos when they're out. :D

Melanie

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 22:36:29 »
Rebutias are one of the best flowering genera; don't stint the water in the growing season, but make sure the compost is well drained and keep them dry and cool in winter. The same applies to any cactus apart from epiphyllums.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 22:42:51 »
We love them and have alsorts now.  They are gorgeous montanum!

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 11:08:25 »
We only have two and have had them about 10 years!! never seen a flower!!! they'd better start earning their keep now i've seen whats possible !!
HOW do you manage to repot??
We know the fat ones called "Old Man on the Andes" but we've no idea on the multi stemmed one?? any ideas??
Cheers Kevb

click on pic to enlarge!!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 11:36:17 by KevB »
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 13:48:48 »
mine is still in its original pot (teensy weensy one).  the plant itelf is only about 4" high.  it was a lovely surprise when it flowered, and they are very pretty.  didn't realise they were sun activated either, when i looked at it this morning, no sun, flowers had closed again !
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

giantseye

• Half Acre
  • I love my lottie
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 14:27:18 »
KevB,

The top picture is Parodia Leninghausii.  I can't remember what colour the flowers are.  They are either yellow or white.

To repot, get a couple of newpapers and wrap aroung the spines.  Hold onto the cactus firmly and then repot.  Once you have put it in some fresh soil, it should flower.

Ruth

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 07:13:10 »
like that rats tails cactus :).........pity about the name though :(
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 09:10:41 »
A few years ago we were on holiday visiting my brother in the USA. He organised a trip to Las Vegas. Now I had a bit of a down on the idea, but it turned out to be great fun, and a big hit with our kids. Anyway we saw an advert for a trip to a Chocolate Factory on the outskirts of town, TAXI!!!
Had a good look around, eating free samples at each stage, and into the shop. Notice a sign saying 'Visit Our Cactus Garden'. So around the back we went, and what a fantastic garden it was. Plus it had an environmentally sound reason for being there. The factory recycle there water using bacteria in large tanks that digest the fats from the waste washing from cleaning the machines etc. They use some to irrigate the garden. Loved it, plus you get free chocs.
Viva Las Vagas!

Brian

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 23:40:11 »
yes they are beautiful pictures, my mum spends ages with hers, just to get a flower that doesnt last that long!!! brought some myself from Ikea and have probably only watered them once in 3 years!!! very neglected but they seem o.k, ill water them tommorrow, feel really guilty now!!!

SiWard

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 21:00:29 »
I'm into succulents rather than the spiky cacti, I believe there from the same family.  I only avoid the spiky ones because I like my kids to be tactile with the plants.  They are particularly forgiving as I am allways forgetting to water the plants.  My current favourite is 'lucky bells' though I've had no flowers yet.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 22:15:54 »
Succulents are from many families; cacti are from a particular family. Which succulents do you like?

Bryan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 22:56:32 »
My wife has collected numerous cacti in the last few weeks. I do like them, more than succulents and other indoor plants. I took the time to create a small cacti garden for her during the week, and she was very happy with my effort.
She helps down the allotment, and loves to help harvest, especially with the picking of runners etc...
So i feel it only fair that i help her with her cacti, as i do have numerous hobbies running at the same time.
Don't worry about tomorrow, or yesterday, just think about today.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal