Author Topic: Beetroot  (Read 2812 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Beetroot
« on: April 19, 2006, 17:23:32 »
Pre-germinated (4 days) & planted 1/4" deep yesterday.

razorboy

Re: Beetroot
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 19:05:35 »
Looks good. How do you pregerminate. Is it on wet tissue paper?
It would be useful to know as I'm finding they take ages.
Ray

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 19:31:24 »
Tim, why did you pregerminate ? I have some in my greenhouse that are growing quite well and were through in 8 days. I have heard stories of beetroot being hard to get going at times, I know my Dad used to soak his seed in water overnight to help with germination.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 20:17:30 »
Yes - wet tissue - clingfilmed.

Why Richard?
1. Like so many things, I like to have them garden-ready before committing a plot for them. So often, things don't work out as planned.

2. Golden beet are notoriously unpredictable, so better to plant only viable seeds?

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 20:25:05 »
I'm pleased I didn't see this thread a couple of weeks ago, cos it would have worried me.  :)

But I sowed a packet of Boltardy (from a multi-pack from Poundland), and they germinated beautifully, just sown into multipurpose.  Now got 24 little plants growing nicely in modules.

I have bought another pack, from Home Bargains this time - Detroit Globe - but haven't sown those yet.
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 23:07:13 »
I sowed Boltardy last season straight into the ground, they were brill, we're still eating e'm now ;D 8)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 23:48:38 »
I've got two varieties this year - boltardy everyones favourite, and a white variety I cant remember the name of. Trying the white variety as a test to see if its more pan, hands and urine! colour friendly!
Put a batch in one of those multi cell trays in a plastic greenhouse 70(ish) out of 105 up so far after 6 days with no pre germination. 70/35 boltardy/white.

You can never have enough beetroot!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 07:23:07 »
I must say that I normally only pre-germinate for outdoor planting - especially for the golden variety which is so iffy.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 08:48:24 »
Ooh what a lovely bunch ;)
I've pre-germinated for the first time this year taking advice from A4a-ers :)
The golden beet (front) seem to have done better than the red

« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 09:55:30 by supersprout »

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 08:50:15 »
Tim, is the golden beet a better flavour than the red do you think.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 09:35:17 »
My 7-year old daughter said the other day she can't wait to eat the beetroot, because she loves their juice.

Turns out she's really looking forward to growing vinegar-flavoured veggies.  ;D
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 09:54:26 »
I think so, Richard - sweeter, more delicate, less 'earthy'.

And the best pickle - boil cup vinegar +1/2 cup brown sugar & bottle cooked sliced beet in it.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 22:51:40 »
probably a silly question but....Supersprout - those beetroot that you've pre-germinated and look as if they're in toilet roll holders......do you put the whole thing (cardboard included) into the ground when planting out?....assume the cardboard just 'disintegrates' if you do  :-\

The only two times I've grown beetroot - I've sown straight into the ground and had fairly good germination but....they're soooo close together that they don't grow particularly big. When I've 'thinned' out (& used the tiny thinnings) I find the ground/plant alongside is disturbed and wonder if that's why they don't get very big. Even if I push them back into the ground, it seems to 'stunt' their growth!...Did manage to do quite a few jars of pickles with them tho - using last one from last year now!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 23:33:26 »
Yes, just make a hole and pop the whole thing in. The cardboard does indeed disintegrate :)
These were chitted before sowing to make sure I was sowing viable seed. Last year I used seed tape, will do for successional sowing when the soil is warmer.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal