Author Topic: Parsnips...is it still too cold?  (Read 3905 times)

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
Parsnips...is it still too cold?
« on: April 02, 2006, 00:05:33 »
Anyone else in the Midlands sowed parsnips yet?
I'm talking about in the ground not in loo rolls etc?

I intend to sow some tomorrow, wondered what everyone else is doing.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Parsnips...is it still too cold?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 00:08:35 »
Here the soil is still too wet and, since a cold snap is forecast in the week, I will leave sowing mine a few weeks yet.
Sure I read some posts saying some in the Midlands have sown - depends on your soil type I expect.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 01:19:04 by jennym »

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 00:12:59 »
Im Oxfordshire and havnt sown mine yet, though id hold off for a week or two.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 00:15:31 »
I usually put my seeds in in May, but then I am in the North East of England, so could make a difference.  busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 02:02:49 »
Hey mothy, I'm a little further south and to the right (Peterborough) and sowed direct into the soil two days ago. The soil registered 12 degrees in the raised beds, and they're covered in mesh against the cold snap. I think I usually get them going from March, but am keeping notes this year so I can be more certain next!

Have plenty of seed to repeat this month and next if it was too early ;D

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 07:58:17 »
Sowed mine in the Midlands last week. Since they take such a long time to germinate, how can you be sure the temperature is the limiting factor?
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 10:13:52 »
If it's too cold they don't come up at all, or if they do, germination is spectacularly bad. I'm waiting till the start of the holiday, then putting them in under cloches. I had so much trouble with my spring planting last year that I've bought loads.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 10:40:30 »
In Essex I made my first sowing last week, however, I had to try three times last year and it was the March sowing that eventually greminated - the later ones never showed!!  I have three packs of seeds, so will probably give it a couple of weeks and do another row...or 3!!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 10:57:41 »
Aha E-J, you use the successional sowing method recommended for parsnips. So one of the sowings will be a success ;) ;D ;D ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 11:00:29 »
It's all comparative, isn't it?? Yes - I've posted it before!

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 14:14:26 »
I will be doing several sowings over the next few weeks as according to the packet, I've left it to late..  Variety is Hollow Crown which appears to have a shorter sowing window than my usual Gladiator, but as I'm gradually removing F1 hybrids ( and over bred flowers that don't provide nectar for wildlife), at the time, this was the only alternative available.

Although the soil is starting to warm up here in Cheshire, it still feels a bit early for most seeds, but only by a couple of weeks.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

johnslottie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 14:28:21 »
I think parsnip packets can be a bit misleading, as I'm getting the feeling that the seeds don't like cold wet soils, and tend to rot.  Many growers seem successful with later sowings, or sowing indoors at much higher temperatures. 

The forecast is poor for this week, so I'd wait a week.  I think I'll be waiting another 4 up here  :(
Let there be sun!

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 15:51:55 »
I sowed my last weekend and it very wet up at the lottie in West London today. After doing it other allot3all members thought I was a bit eary but if they don't come to anything then i've got another packet.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 16:50:11 »
I'm about to sow mine indoors right now.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 16:54:43 »
Sowed mine on the plot last week when I thought the weather was improving! But my soil temperature was 10 degrees so I'm keeping fingers crossed they will be ok.

sussexcliff

• Not So New ...
  • It's not shirt sleeve weather at the moment!
    • And I work (when I'm not at the allotment) at
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 20:02:05 »
Thank goodness everyone else is having the same problem.

We had a great germination on the windowsill, but looks like they've died afater going into the cold frame. Start again, so thanks for the comfort,
Cheers
Cliff
Just muddling along, trying various crops, styles etc, will repeat what works. Will try again what doesn't!!
Photo is of me ballet dancing or is it watering the strawberries?

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 20:11:01 »
Thanks for all the feedback folks!!

I was suprised by the soil conditions at our plot today. Not too wet at all...so I edged my bets and sowed a row and will try another 2 rows in 2 weeks time!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 22:10:03 »
I figured that parsnip seed have to be planted fresh each season, there's 300 in a packet and no way am I going to need (or have room for!) that many, so I can put up with one or two attempts.  It was April 3rd last year when I sowed my most successful snips.  Then again it was a lot warmer... then May stopped everything again.

I sowed my first 20 loo rolls on the 23rd March - 11 days ago - fill roll with compost, bury to within 1cm of top in ground (pushing compost downwards so no air gaps), water them and then sow 3-4 seeds in the top of each.  Cover lightly then hope.  The compost is dark, absorbs warmth easier, and there's unobstructed root run for the first few inches so less forking.  Worked a treat on the direct-sown ones. Those I sowed and germinated inside then planted out when they were starting to get real leaves didn't work so well as the roots got out of the rolls and so caused forking. 

I also sowed my first row of early Nantes carrots under a cloche (also in deep compost) at the same time and they are through as of today!!!

;D ;D

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 13:43:46 »
Looks like it's worth waiting then.

Do the loo rolls work? I planted some in modules and -although I got a meal- they were very short and squat. I put it down to them not wanting to drill down into the clay if they could turn round and go back into the soft soil of the module.

Jeremy

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 19:18:14 »
Derbex - the tap root wants to drill downwards.  I found it goes down at an incredible rate - you only just start to see real leaves and the root's out the roll. Modules and rootrainers will not be nearly long enough. I suspect a kitchen roll would be better!

As soon as it hits the base of the container, it'll bend a bit, and that bit's all it needs to start forking at that point.  The shorter the module, the shorter the unforked snip. If the roll's in soil, it will continue going down till it hits a stone or air pocket.

I hope! or this year's experiment won't work either!

(Which I guess is why competition growers make a cone-shaped hole in sand, fill with compost and more sand and sow seeds in the top - it makes them long and straight)

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal