Author Topic: Runner Bean Supports  (Read 9953 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Runner Bean Supports
« on: March 30, 2006, 19:25:33 »
Looking for inspiration on the construction of runner bean supports on the allotment. I have a feeling that the usual canes wont be strong enough, apart from the fact I can't do anything in a straight line, though I don't suppose it really matters.
I did see a program about allotments a few weeks ago, a chap had a wonderful arrangement involving a main support which had loops along the top bar into which he slotted his canes. Can't seem to find out any more on that front, so any other suggestions most welcome.
Smile, it confuses people.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Runner Bean Supports
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 19:29:56 »
Hey emaggie, I have 8 ft stout hazel poles this year through http://www.allotmentforestry.com/direct.htm. Not what you describe, but they do look lovely - and very strong :)

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 19:35:41 »
This year I'm using the frame from a garden swing, keep an eye open, and check the skips

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 19:43:28 »
Thanks for that SS. Do you cross them cane style or do something else with them?
p.s. What's a YaBB God ? Young and Breathtakingly Beautiful or maybe Yellow and Bright Blue, tell me do ..............
Smile, it confuses people.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 19:51:41 »
I'm blushing!!

Supports? These are ours -

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 19:53:02 »
means over 500 posts - truely addicted - no hope!

Great website SS - printing out contact details for Bedfordhsire as we speak. Need pea supports etc...

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 19:54:50 »
A couple of years ago i used elderflower branches that my mum cut down from her garden, i did let them dry off over the winter though, dont know whether fresh ones would root or not, anyway they looked lovely and rugged!!!! Last year i used garden trellis sectioned the veggie patch off from the rest of the garden, soaked the seeds and dug a trench underneath and they looked beautiful in with flowers on and grew like mad.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 20:10:37 »
I long to do a neat line of crossed poles a la tim, but will be doing wigwams for separate bean and climbing squash varieties (eight@five poles each) this year, tying the tops with string.

Young and Breathtakingly Beautiful
Oh I wish I wish ;D ;D

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 20:33:03 »
I grew runners for 1st time last year. on a wigwam of 6' bamboo canes.

At the picking stage, it was quite difficult to 'find' all the beans and I did let

them grow too long, hence some were stringy (PAH! not to be recommended!)

Don't think I'll bother with them this year, as I have about three types of french

beans to grow for the first time..

Debs

MollyBloom

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 22:28:12 »
I always use wigwams, as I've never got the hang of making lines which stay up all season. Also wigwams take up less space and allow me to keep each variety separate (5 plants per wigwam plus a sweet pea to encourage bees). Works for me, anyway.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 23:32:12 »
Tip from the Victorian Kitchen Garden - space five wigwam poles as if there were six of them so you can creep INSIDE the wigwam to find all those beans! ::)

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 03:05:02 »
What a great link SS though it looks as if I will have to cross the border if I'm to get those poles! And good tip on the wigwams.
Seems like string is not the only thing you are good at.  ;D

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 07:34:39 »
We used wigwams last year as we didn't want too many runner beans (although we still ended up with far too many). This year because Ive converted all the ground into raised beds I have built arches as recommended in the wiki.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_mambowiki/Itemid,37/

These span the raised beds so I only use a small amount of ground to grow the beans in. In theory I should be able to walk through these and pick the dangling beans off from underneath. They look great and with horizontal supports are pretty solid.

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 08:26:41 »
I was wondering about something like that - saw something simillar at one garden we went to visit last year (can't remember which one)...  They had arches (just about 4 canes at a time) spaced along the bed growing beans and sweet peas, and they were big enough to walk under for picking.  Certainly going to give it a go this year too.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 11:18:04 »
I have built arches as recommended in the wiki.
These span the raised beds so I only use a small amount of ground to grow the beans in. In theory I should be able to walk through these and pick the dangling beans off from underneath.
Wow glow, that conjures up lovely picture of supping mint julep under the bean arbour 8). If you have a pic, please post it. Do your arches span the raised beds, or the paths? ::)

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 11:58:19 »
the ones I saw spanned the paths, leaving more room in the beds to grow other things...

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 12:26:00 »
They look a bit sad without the beans on but I will try and take a pic this weekend. I have to find an angle that doesnt show the rest of my lottie looking like a building site!

I have set them to span the paths so I can walk underneath. A definate space saver as I reckon I am only using a small % of the bed for the beans.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 12:38:43 »
I tend to go the traditional root with something similar to Tim's structure.

But I have heard people recommend the an inverted wigwam, on that is wider at the top than the bottom. This does mean using a central pole that is fairly strong and runding string from that out to the tops of the canes to support the weight of the beans.

The advantage is that the beans hang below the canes and are very easy to spot and pick.

I may give it ago if I have time!

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

lancelotment

• Half Acre
  • Great North Swim, 1 mile open water, Windermere'08
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006, 12:43:28 »
I managed to get hold of some old scaffolding poles last year.  A quick figure of 8 with twine held the tops of the canes around the cross pole.  As they weren't tied directly to the pole they were easy to take down at year end.  Lance
Getting there - just rather slowly!!

ann hunter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2006, 12:55:03 »
Jerry
I have grown beans in a similar way cos Im not very tall. Instead of the inverted wigwam  however I use two rows of canes, instead of tying just short of the top, I tie them crosswed over a horizontal just over half way up. That way I am able to pick the beans which hang down with out having to strech too much. Also It is just high enough on the inside for my little girl to collect beans from the inside of the 'tent'. ;D
when the going gets tough..........

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal