Author Topic: There is hope...  (Read 1318 times)

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
There is hope...
« on: April 15, 2006, 18:43:48 »
The docks are growing vigourously :(, dandelions are popping up all over my plot :(, half of the couch turns out not to be couch after all (but probably something even worse like bindweed >:(!), carrots, chervil and spring onions still haven't germinated :'( , I just can't rake the clay into a fine tilth  :(, I discovered a bramble with roots like a tree :'(, 
BUT
a potato has made it to the surface in the lazybed ;D ;D ;D!!!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: There is hope...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 19:31:32 »
(does celebratory potato dance with Dandelion lol)
It's less than three weeks from when you said you planted the spuds, so haven't they done well! More lazybeds to come?
Will go and tell my potatoes your news and see if that gets them to stir their stumps a bit - no sign above ground yet :'(

NB Healthy weeds mean Healthy Soil ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 19:33:44 by supersprout »

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 19:45:50 »
Thanks Supersprout. I'm so chuffed ;D! Just 3 weeks
since I planted them; it's one of the first earlies which I planted a week or so before the end of March. I think it's Arran Pilot or Red Duke of York.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 20:10:24 »
Hurrah!! A potato you say Dandelion, that is excellent!  It is aways a relief when you spot the foliage coming up. We are just going to plant our potatoes out tomorrow, so in the not too distanct future we will be scanning the soil anxiously too. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 20:25:30 »
Well done Dandelion.  Remember, when all spuds have sprouted and have lush foliage, they will smother out the weeds - hooray ;D ;D

Well, so I'm told ???

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 06:54:55 »
It is good when you start to see something growing isn't it. You will get the better of the weeds eventually too, honest! The foliage on the spuds will help suppress the weeds in that bit. And keep cutting the leaves of docks and other weeds and add them to your compost heap if you don't get the time to dig the roots out, the leaves all help to improve the soil when you dig the resulting compost back in, and then you'll get your longed for fine tilth!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 06:57:06 by jennym »

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 09:06:13 »
Whenever I am wondering about whether it is too early to plant, my neighbour will glance at the soil and mutter 'the weeds will tell you'. So true I think, the weeds are a good indicator of soil temperatures and the growing cycle. Of course, it suddenly happens very quickly then, but I am managing to keep up I think ... with my new stirrup hoe, at least the weeding is easier ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal