Author Topic: Nettle infusion as feed  (Read 985 times)

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
Nettle infusion as feed
« on: March 30, 2006, 10:15:24 »
If I make a boiled-water infusion of fresh nettles, will I be able to use it as a feed for my indoor herbs? I intend to pour boiled water on to freshly harvested nettles and leave it for an hour or so. What strength should I use it at?

I know about the fermented nettle feed, but I don't fancy having that smell in the house!  ;D
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
Re: Nettle infusion as feed
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 10:30:30 »
Hi Moggle, I asked a similar question last year, (unfortunately I can't find the thread), the consensus was nettle infusion was great for pest control but not very good for a feed, comfry was recommended.

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 10:36:57 »
I used a nettle feed last year while my comfreys were establishing. Didn't use boiling water, though, just cold from the trough and left it to mature for a few weeks to 'mature'. Diluted resultant tea at about 10:1. Does stink, though, so definitely wouldn't use it or keep it indoors. Will do same this year.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 15:54:41 »
I did the same as Sprout.

Nettle feed is a great feed, like comfrey.

It's a toss up which one smells worst.

If you use something like an old Growmore container and put the lid on tight the smell is hidden, but remember to hold your breath as you open it after 3 weeks....
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 16:35:11 »
Cheers guys, but I really need a non-stinky option.

When I said 'indoor' herbs I mean they are in my kitchen and my front room. There's no way I'm putting fermented nettles/comfrey on plants in my living room  ;D

I don't expect them to last months, I just want to give them a little bit of a boost so they stay nice and green and fragrant  :)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 16:45:36 »
Buy a bottle of tomato feed, it will last you a long time, reasonably inexpensive and a mild smell.  sniff before you buy. :-* :-*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal