Author Topic: Planting out beetroot seedlings  (Read 2112 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Planting out beetroot seedlings
« on: March 28, 2006, 14:02:19 »
Today the sun is shining intermittently and I would dearly like to get my beetroot seedlings into the soil. They are about 2 inches tall, leggy I suppose you'd call them, and still only have the seed leaves.

I've never tried beetroot in my small plot before, so haven't a clue. I have them in modules of 24 and really need the space in my mini-greenhouse!

Would this be a good time to plant them out and if so should they be planted up to the seed leaves?

Tricia

Larkspur

• Acre
Re: Planting out beetroot seedlings
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 14:21:56 »
Hi, I should hang on a bit and let them develop at least one pair of true leaves prior to planting out. They sound a bit small and vulnerable to me. ;)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 19:22:41 »
Any chance of creating a mini cold frame -just for them if you have no room?

Sounds like they need to be a wee bit bigger than are at the moment. :)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 23:20:57 »
I have some fleece - would that be any good? I could plant them in my new raised bed where the soil is below the height of the frame and fix the fleece to the frame for a while to protect the seedlings..

Tricia

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 08:42:47 »
If you're really desperate for the space it might be worth a try. If the seedlings are very leggy they might not come to much anyway and the space might be put to better use? All a steep learning curve I always think - some you win, some you don't.

My MIL always started beetroot off in modules and transplanted successfully. I usually sow direct. Tried some in modules this year, far too early, they were extremely leggy so dumped them. Trying again and waiting (im)patiently for them to show!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 22:33:15 »
I took a chance and planted them out in a raised bed this afternoon and covered the two rows with fleece. Of course, it is now bucketing it down so they will probably drown, poor things :'(

Oh well :( no big deal. I'll just have to sow some more - which will take up the much needed shelf space in the mini greenhouse ::)

Tricia

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal