Author Topic: Tree chippings  (Read 1809 times)

Skippy

• Not So New ...
Tree chippings
« on: March 28, 2006, 10:38:31 »
Can anyone help?  My neighbour had an old horse chestnut tree chopped down and turned into chippings, and she said I can have some.  I know I can use them now for paths round our lottie, but does anyone know how long it would take to break down enough to dig them in to borders or veg plots?  I know I cannot use them like this straight away, as it would take nitrogen out of the ground, and assume it would take more than normal compost in my bins to rot down.
Anyone any idea?
Live each day as it comes, but plan your tomorrows.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Tree chippings
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 10:54:29 »
Lucky you skippy :D are you sure you have more than you need to mulch your paths? You probably need 4"+ over plastic or newpaper to stop the weeds, and that's a LOT of chippings.

You could use them as a thick mulch this winter atop your beds, and scrape them off in Spring - they will help keep the soil warm and weed free.

For compost, you could layer them with perennial roots in a 'long term' compost pile/bin that you leave for up to 3 years. They should be ready to use by then.

Very envious as I'm looking for a free supply everywhere. Bet they smell divine! :D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 10:56:18 by supersprout »

onionhead

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 12:24:58 »
There's a humungous mountain of bark chippings which everyone helps themselves to at our lottie site. Most people seem to use them for covering paths and mulching fruit trees/bushes, though some use them as a soil improver dug into their veg beds.

Haven't used them myself yet. However, if they're as desirable as the sagacious supersprout implies I might pop down later a grab a load.  ;)
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Scope254

• Not So New ...
    • bensham manor allotments
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 18:26:44 »
If you are looking for a free supply of wood chippings, contact some local tree surgeons, who are normally happy to get rid of them as they have to pay to dump them at the local tip.  My supplier in Croydon has so far delivered 6 tipper trucks full to our site.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 19:57:28 »
Thank you scope, will investigate this pdq ::) :D

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 20:00:53 »
and now i regret leaving croydon  ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Skippy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 09:50:51 »
Thanks you for your responses.  I thought it would be a long time!  Will also try phoning round to get some free and store for long term use.  They smell even better now they've been soaked in this weekends downpour!
Live each day as it comes, but plan your tomorrows.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal