Author Topic: Problems with melon seedlings  (Read 1401 times)

terces

• Not So New ...
Problems with melon seedlings
« on: March 27, 2006, 07:54:23 »
My melon seedlings have started to wither at the growing tip for no reason that I can think off.  They look like they are just getting their first true leave.  I have tried pricking some out but this just seems to speed up the process.  Can anyone think of any reason for this?

Thanks,

Rob

amphibian

Re: Problems with melon seedlings
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 20:53:24 »
I can think of several possibilities.

1. Their environment is too wet.
2. Sun scorch, where wet leaves have been exposed to sunlight, normally they will brown and go papery.
3. Verticillium wilt.

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 20:30:38 »
Still very early for melons, if they area complete disaster, plenty of time  to sow some more.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 21:55:33 »
I'm growing melons for the first time this year, and have only just ordered the seed! :o So I jolly well hope there's plenty of time :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 22:26:35 »
Out of dozens of attempts last year, one plant survived, but boy did it struggle.  I was rewarded with one small melon, which altho was gorgeous, didn't repay all the work and love I had showered that plant.  This year I am sowing masses of melon seeds to try and have more success.  I find melons much slower to germinate, slower to grow, and weaker plants in general....but that could just be me.  You can keep sowing way into April, and probably May, so keep trying...I plan to!  ::)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 02:32:51 »
Romping away (so far) on my windowsill are 7 Honeydew, 5 Ogen and a Canteloupe, all from shop bought produce.

Funnily enough, when I removed the Ogen and Canteloupe seeds, I cleaned them and allowed them to dry before planting. With the Honeydew, I just took them out, separated a few and bunged them in the modules. They came up in four days. The others took 12 days.

I'm watering them from below to avoid the dreaded rot/wilt syndrome so here's hoping...
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal