Author Topic: witloof chicory?  (Read 1368 times)

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
witloof chicory?
« on: March 26, 2006, 11:02:29 »
would like to try growing it as we eat loads,has anybody tried growing it ? and where can we buy the seeds from? we have tried all the garden centres locally, but no joy. thanks,

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
Re: witloof chicory?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 09:41:58 »
http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=83

I've also bought some elsewhere but can't recall where right now - pm me if you have no joy with the organic catalogue. There's also a list of online seed catalogues on the wiki - a good first stop when you're trying to track something down.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 15:31:31 »
Franchi Seeds of Italy do oodles of chicories - worth a google? I am going to sow their 'mixed chicory' selection to see what I like this year.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 15:50:27 »
Try asking Ina, she is the only grower I know. The Chicory for chicons by the way is not the same as the chicory for leaves.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 22:53:10 »
I grew it 2 years ago and it was fab, bullets of peppery blanches leaves all winter through.  Ina sent me seeds, so did Cleo I believe.  I will be doing a row again this year.  I just sowed a row and left them to it, then in October time I dug up the roots and left them in a sheltered spot against the shed.  Then I trimmed the roots, according to Ina's instructions, planted them in large pots, covered with another large pot and in no time the gorgeous chicons were growing.  Fab!  ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 04:40:52 »
Try asking Ina, she is the only grower I know. The Chicory for chicons by the way is not the same as the chicory for leaves.

Eric, is there any way I could tell the difference if I grow the mixed seeds, or do you think they will all be leafy sort? ???

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 13:05:21 »
its the chicon stuff that I want to grow, not the leaves. Emma- Jane, you make it sound reasonably easy, thought it would be more complicated. Now how do I get in contact with Ina?

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 13:49:28 »
Thank you bupster, have now ordered organic catalogue.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal