Author Topic: D I Y greenhouse  (Read 3426 times)

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
D I Y greenhouse
« on: March 25, 2006, 22:17:02 »
My greenhouse is made from old window frames,free to uplift from double glazing merchants, and scaffolding boards. I'm not saying where i got them from!! the roofs made from old bus shelter plastic sheets. it's very effective, and cost almost nothing if your handy. or know a man who can!!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: D I Y greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 15:25:19 »
My one is like that too but I inherited it from the previous lottie holder so didn't have to do the hard slog myself. ;)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 21:21:11 by grawrc »

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 16:44:23 »
;D

O I WISH!!!

;)

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 20:27:47 »
hi grawrc,
mine was built by  guy at our allotments. i think cos i'm 5 foot nothing and weigh 7 stone wi two wee weans out in the freezin cold trying to clear a jungle had something to do with it. Harrys a fountain of knowledge when it comes to growing and he has a nice way of telling you without making you feel a total idiot!! wish everyonehad a harry.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 21:22:08 »
I`d be anyones Harry, they just need to ask. :D

Hi all, My potting shed / greenhouse was built (by me) from a regular pent shed with its roof replaced by yellow corrugated plastic. All of the boards were removed on the sunny side and replaced by triple wall polycarbonate. The boards on the upper half of one wall were cut to make a window glazed with the same polycarbonate.

Its back wall has a sliding window for ventilation and it has a earth floor.
There was enough wood salvaged from the roof and floor panels to strengthen the structure after I`d cut all that cladding away. Later I fixed fencing wire over the roof sheeting to stop it blowing away. The roof has an overhang at the front which protects my new herb trough and bench and hopefully will provide a nesting site for birds.

From the front it looks like a regular shed but inside its light enough for growing toms, peppers and seedlings, Its always warm and it has a workbench and staging.

I am very proud of it as you can tell.

(men and their sheds  :-X) Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 16:37:41 »
Mines a VERY basic 4x6 walk-in plastic covered one thats falling apart! Im hoping to buy a  new 8x6 glass one this year! Its a shame they're so expensive though!

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 21:15:34 »
sounds like a belter columbus. some of the sheds, greenhouses and cold frames around are very inventive and usually the most expensive item to make them is a bag of nails!! you offered to be anyones Harry!! i just wondered how many other people out there are handy and have helped others to build things.

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 21:33:09 »
well, weedbusta, my OH and me (mostly OH) built this decking and pergola!

And my OH and his dad moved the smaller GH and added the 'free' larger one to it for a big walk through GH.  I think we should all be proud of them (and me  ;))

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 21:35:23 »
sorry if you've all seen these photos before, but i am very very pleased with them, especially when you've seen what was there in the first place, 'a load of old sheds'  !!!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 22:32:54 »
Yep seen them before but think they are great.

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 00:14:14 »
looks gorgeous. roll on summer. wish i had bigger transport than punto wi 2eans in tow. only so much i can scrounge and carry.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 06:28:52 »
i wish i had a Harry.

my replacement shed door is still waiting to be hung, my outside tap is still waiting to be connected to the cold pipe as opposed to the hot  :o, and my retaining fence is still waiting to be completed.

Still, the OH is off on a jolly on saturday, so i'll get a whole day to play on the plot (come rain or shine)  without being held back  ;D

with a bit of luck the new greenhouse will have arrived and i can get it built without any (slightly willing but equally talentless) assistance.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 21:16:08 »
;D

Fingers crossed KP!!!!! Whisper it quietly, I may be the owner of a Greenhouse myself soon...Shhhhhhhh!!!

;)

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 21:24:40 »
a friend of mine is looking to get rid of one of his greenhouses, ali framed one. pm me if ur interested

mike_w

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 21:40:37 »
Hi all,

a friend of mine in Musselburgh has a plot near to a greenhouse made entirely of old plastic drinks bottles. Apparently people from all around helped out with the collecting. Now that's what I call recycling! Wish I had a photo for you.

Mike
Quantum ille canis in fenestra est?

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 21:43:48 »
WOW !  now THAT i would like to see.

since i've asked our bessie mates to save their ginger bottles for me rather than to ditch them in the recycling bin, i'm sure i'd have enough for the back wall.  it's quite shocking how many of the things we get through between the two households.

wonder how it's constructed  ::)
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 21:48:19 »
google is such a wonderful invention  ;D

http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/greenhouse.html

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal