Author Topic: Pruning Leylandii  (Read 6989 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Pruning Leylandii
« on: March 23, 2006, 17:08:52 »
How far back can I cut these branches? I  want to get the columns more under control.

Typically about 2'6" long.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
Re: Pruning Leylandii
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 17:17:31 »
Tim, What I do know about trimming leylandi ( to which is not a lot ) is that if you go to far back on the branch you will get no greenery all you will be left with is the brown branches which never green up again.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 17:31:53 »
Aye! How far is far!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 18:13:35 »
If you cut a conifer branch back beyond the point where it's got green growth on it, it won't produce more. Deciduous shrubs and trees can produce buds at any point on the stems, but conifers can't.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 18:21:44 »
So - because I've got green all the way, I should be OK??

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 18:28:26 »
You should be, since it's able to grow from there. My own solution to this one would involve a bowsaw, a bonfire, and the purchase of a couple of nice shrubs, but you probably like these things better than I do.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 18:59:37 »
Planted specifically to blot out the new houses' windows. Bloody cheek! Works wonders.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 21:19:28 »
Yes, it would be useful for that.

Jimmy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 14:56:08 »
Getting to the point where the monsters out the front are needing the chain-saw rather than hedge-cutters to keep them down to 2 metres or so.

Going to look at digging the things up next summer and growing some shrubs this year to replace them with.

Hideous things!!!!!!  ::)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 15:21:20 »
If you'd rather watch your neighbour doing her ablutions, you're welcome!

Jimmy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 16:11:14 »
Go halves on the shrubs with her and buy some nice net curtains for her to protect her modesty.

If she does not like them, use them to keep pest's and critters off your crops, good barrier do old nets make apparently  ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 17:46:05 »
At least you don't sound like the type who gets out the binoculars and enjoys the spectacle!

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006, 17:04:47 »
You can cut the branches as far back as you like so long as you leave some green foliage to grow. Of course if you only leave a little bit of green and that dies back for some reason then thats the greenery gone.

The twig you show could be well trimmed back.

The trees could be reduced to whatever height you want and the top will become multi-stemmed and grow up again like mad.

On average you expect a Leylandii to grow a yard taller every year and they will grow to at least sixty feet, possibly ninety feet.

It makes a good hedge if trimmed twice a year and the height kept in check each time it is trimmed. It is a poor choice of garden tree due to the radid growth and shallow rooting.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2006, 18:37:54 »
You mean like this one at the top of the garden? There's another at the other end! They've been in 40 years.
The big fir is 54' tall.

So - I reckon I can cut the columns back by the length of the bit shown - 2+'?

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2006, 07:49:57 »
oh dear, so the one on my (absent) neighbours patch that i chopped in half, won't ever green up again ..............  ah well, it weren't me  :o
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2006, 10:32:21 »
Mrs KP Hope you didn't leave any finger prints ;D
My sister-in-law in Chislehurst had a very large conifer in her very small front garden. She decided to have the garden blocked. she said she was really surprised how little root there was to the tree.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2006, 11:03:54 »
there were two, one is now a (ragged) stump, and the other is a now 3' high bush (of sorts), once i've got the major part of my plot finished, i'm going to have a bash at stump removing  ;D

trouble is, the upstairs flat has been empty since well before we moved in and consequently no care has been taken of their side of the garden at all (apart from me pruning all their bushes and creating a log pile out of all the prunings).  the two leylandii were about 12' and pretty well blocking all my sun over half the garden.  they also afforded some protection against the wind but on balance, i think it's better they're not there.  the corner of my patio has sunk which i think is a combination of a cowboy patio jobbie and the thirsty leylandii, so that's my excuse if anyone asks.

my neighbour is a policeman and even he wants to help us remove a rather large conifer from the front bit of the upstairs neighbours garden.  a bit of hear no evil see no evil speak no evil.  :-X 8)

i do feel rather bad about removing 3 healthy trees, but without due care and attention they were running riot and i am doing my bit to replace green stuff  ;D

:o
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

pntalbot

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2006, 14:20:23 »
Is it `Law` that Leylandi must not be more than 6 ft tall, overlooking your next door  neighbour`s  garden.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2006, 17:17:02 »
pntalbot . Do remember reading something along those lines. Hope it  isn't law already!! Then again daughter lives next door so I can sweet talk her if need be ;D ;D
I do want to reduce the height of mine but  have missed this year as the blackbirds are making their nests.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 21:57:12 »
Hi Tim
Yes you can cut back the one as shown in your photo at reply 13. But it does not appear to be harming anything?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal