Author Topic: Germinating Tomatoes  (Read 2388 times)

showtunesgirl

Germinating Tomatoes
« on: March 21, 2006, 00:04:10 »
Hi All,

We've just started germinating our tomatoes and have planted four varieties. The Gardener's Delight, Sub-Arctic and Brandywine seem to be doing fine after a week. They all have sprouted and are showing little leaves but absolutely nothing yet from our Sungolds. Is this normal? Are they just "slow growers"?

All this allotment business is very new to us and we have been reading like mad. We only got our lot in January so it was a race against time to get our lot into some kind of planting order! There's a lot to learn!  :)

Larkspur

• Acre
Re: Germinating Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 06:57:25 »
Hi, at about 70 degrees f toms usually take about five days to germinate and Sungold are no exception. They may take a couple more days however. Be patient, don't worry, there is plenty of time to sow some more if these fail. ;)

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 08:50:49 »
Hello,  :D
                 You don`t say how you are germinating them, but I have sown 4 different types including sungold, in a heated propogator on an indoor windowsill. They all germinated in 4 or 5 days & are now out of the propogator & just kept on the windowsill in good light.  Good luck with yours, as I know they are quite an expensive seed to buy :( 
                           Adrian.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 10:20:44 »
In the absence of a greenhouse, or propagator ...  I used the top of my fish tank!!   ;D ;D ;D

I put the seeds in 3" posts to sprout, each in their own poly bag cloche!!  Found the underpot warmth quite sufficient 

As soon as the germinated 5-7 days depending on variety and the I planted them on into loo rolls (right up to the 1st pair of leaves)  they are now looking good in the porch.

I should also say I live within the M25 so weather is considerably warmer than most!
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

showtunesgirl

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 11:51:22 »
We put them in a window propagater. A fancy way of saying a tray that will fit on your window sill or on your telly.  :D

We wrapped them in newspaper and put them on the floor near the window and heater in our kitchen and after a couple of days there were signs of life so we removed the paper and put them in good sunlight in our living room. Nearly all of them look great but just nothing from the Sungolds!

Jimmy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 14:47:51 »
Is this still not a bit early or are they destined for a greenhouse?

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 16:02:56 »
In the absence of a greenhouse, or propagator ...  I used the top of my fish tank!!   ;D ;D ;D
I put the seeds in 3" posts to sprout, each in their own poly bag cloche!!  Found the underpot warmth quite sufficient 
Yup, I've been growing seedlings near my lizard's tank. It's fairly warm there, and I've noticed seedlings actually grow towards his light (nothing fancy, just a bright lightbulb) rather than the daylight outside.

Melanie

showtunesgirl

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 00:19:48 »
Is this still not a bit early or are they destined for a greenhouse?

We're going to keep them indoors for a bit 'til it heats up a bit and then they are going out into the cold frame.

And huzzah, signs of life from the Sungolds!  :D

slippy fly

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 00:23:10 »
:o  What a great idea from flowerlady.I'm going to clear the top of my tropical fish tank and put some trays there.Thanks for that.  ;D
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool,
he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me
then come out fighting on the other side."
Bill Shankly

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 09:23:34 »
I germinate mine in pots in the conservatory which is cold at night - it is heated on the houses central heating, but that is only on for a few hours in the evening.  My toms took about 10 days to start to poke through, but they are all through now and are nice short strong stocky plants.  You don't want them to grow to quickly as you will end up with weaker plants.  I am late this year.  Normally by now mine would have been potted up several times but I have learnt that there is no rush.  I grew some later ones last year and picked my last bucket full in November time!

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 09:53:37 »
I'm doing the same as Emma Jane - windowsill in conservatory, and in a (regularly) inflated polythene bag.  But it's been over a fortnight now, and no sign of life.  Do I leave them and try another lot?

OH is all for giving up entirely and buying in plants from our local nursery, but I don't like to be beaten.  :)
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 10:20:40 »
They will come up any day now....I am sure!  Mine took 10 days, but close to the radiator, not on the windowsill where it will be much colder.  Try moving them away from the window for a spell.  I bet they are up by Monday!  ;D

Jimmy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 10:58:31 »
Think mine have liked the look of what they have seen outside the window as they have all pushed up over last day.

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 12:16:54 »
I've now moved the tray nearer the radiator.  Not much light today anyway - it's chucking it down here.

I suppose I should think of our Southern brethren and feel grateful for them, because they need rain, but personally I could have done without it.  ;)
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 12:21:35 »
i germinate my seeds on top of  a radiator, where we have a shelf. the little ones like their warm feet, and all come through fine.
sungold did take a little longer than the other toms, aubergines and peppers also slower than toms. all have made an appearance.

as soon as most of them are through, i move them to the slightly cooler window sills to slow the growth and make them short and stocky :)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006, 15:33:47 »
oohh heck! missed the boat again. Gonna get mine sown this weekend, I didn't realise thet a) I should have done this already and b) they are difficult to germinate??!!

Sunny window ledge and trays with lids are best I can offer for now too.

If you have a Tesco near you - check out the new packaging for closed cup mushrooms - mini propogator in the making if ever I saw one - they come with a clip top lid now with holes in them.. very exciting!

Failing that you have to treat yourself to the mini muffins which also have built in lids and are great for making propogators too.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2006, 15:35:30 »
I've only just done mine and they've almost all come up, and I haven't a clue, so I shouldn't worry too much!
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2006, 17:26:39 »
I plnated nine varieties four days ago; some are up today, others aren't. I suppose some are a bit faster than others.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal