Author Topic: A good day  (Read 4515 times)

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
A good day
« on: March 21, 2006, 20:34:40 »
Had a good few hours in the greenhouse today and managed to sow 6 trays of s cabbage ( Spitfire ) 5 trays of onions ( Bristol ), 2 trays of dahlias and for the first time that I have tried starting these under glass % trays of beetroot (Pronto ).  Usually like to have them sown direct in grown but I think that the soil is not warm enough yet.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
Re: A good day
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 20:53:53 »
hi, I went over lottie and planted 4 rows of taters,and weeded me strawberry bed.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 00:07:54 »
Well next on my list is parsnips, and I have a new toy in the form of a planter, so perhaps tomorrow if the weather is clement ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

KMARKSnr

• Quarter Acre
  • I`m not "young enough" to know everything !
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 08:12:46 »
Started my onion sets off in trays inside seedling house (as i always do),as i tend to find it gives them a tremendous "kick start",compared to the sets planted directly into the ground,and that the birds can`t pull them out after a few days  ;D.
             Started tom`s at home,trying parsnip in tray start this year,cabbage,caulis,shallots.
              Spuds,- maybe today,(day off)  :P
              Fruit trellis to be built,- etc,etc,etc

Best wishes,
                                   Mark.
i`m not "young enough" to know everything !

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 16:01:14 »
Hiya all,

Is it warm enough to start planting first early 'taters? I ask as I've never done this before and have a bag chitting away in the dining room - I'm itching to get them in the soil but don't know how frost/cold tolerant they are.

Cheers!

Jon

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 17:08:51 »
Well I have two out of three rows just planted - in the Midlands. They will be a few weeks before they start to show anyway, I will just keep raking the soil over as they start to appear, then they should be protected from frost damage.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Helenclare

• Not So New ...
  • lovely, it's raining and no longer cold
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 17:27:29 »
I too have put mine in and then put a layer of hay over the top of them to keep them snug. I went up to our local riding stables and asked if they had any old/mouldy hay/straw that wasn't fit for the horses and they gave me a few slices from a split bale...if you don't ask you don't get!!
Helen

the wizards sleeve

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 20:19:14 »
some of the lads put there spuds in today i,m in south shields i was going to put some in this weekend but weather is going to be bad so will wait :'(

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 20:20:46 »
I'm waiting to see what the weather's like this weekned. The tatties are ready for planting and I need the room to plant more stuff so here's hoping.

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 22:35:03 »
I put 2 rows of Arran Pilot in on Sunday along with about half me onions (400ish), a mixture of Sturon, Stuttgarter Giants and Red Baron.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 09:29:26 »
My spuds are nearly all in.  For me it is more a case of making the most of the time I have rather than sticking to a rigid sowing/planting plan.  I seem to do okay.

I have just sown 100 brussel sprout seeds!  Why??  Seems crazy especially as I am still picking Brilliant and Red Bull sprouts by the bowl full!  Also trying cauliflowers again, even tho I have almost zero success, but I have lots of advice from you crowd all stored up, so they have to be worth another go!

Going to sow a load more seeds today - was hoping to get to the plot, but rain stopped play, so the warmth of the greenhouse is where I am destined!

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 10:58:03 »
Thanks for the feedback... looks like the spuds will be leaving the safety of the dining room and out into the 'lottie.

I've another beginners question though, will the foxes dig potatoes up? I ask as I planted shallots a few weeks ago, some under some netting I inherited from the last plot owners and some not. The ones not under the netting have all dissapeared!

Ta.

Jon

dingerbell

• Half Acre
  • A very productive morning
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 11:03:30 »
I hit it lucky, yesterday rotovated the entire allotment 80' x 60' , double dug and planted my earlies Duke of York (prtected with loads of shredded newspaper), planted out 200 shallots and dug loads of muck into my pits for courgettes and sqash.  Even more satisfying to wake up today to find everything well watered in ....now that's a result. It's raining outside and I'm tucked up cosy in the garage watching the Commonwealth Games and planting out all my seeds into loo rolls and root trainers.  Life is sweet.....Dinger ;D

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2006, 21:15:01 »
well last Wednesday, went to the lottie & planted all my onion sets, white & red plus my shallots...forgot to take the garlic with me but was getting tired by then anyway.

Today I went back this afternoon - hoping it wouldn't rain!....no sooner had I started preparing a bit more ground than the rain started, getting more & more steady....was determined tho to finish getting the garlic in, which I did so now have 2 rows planted - so feel well chuffed in spite of coming home like a drowned rat!....and still the steady rain is falling - lovely ;)

next visit will be to sow the broad beans (( think) or maybe taters first - we'll see.

H.P.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 21:18:12 »
Lovely day here so I 've planted Lady Christl and Orla first earlies. Just arrived home when the rain started so that worked out well for once! Weather permitting I'll be back tomorrow to finsish the onions and shallots.

grotbag

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2006, 22:56:47 »
nothing done today rained all day

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2006, 14:48:47 »
Another good day managed to get 5 50ft rows of early potatoes planted today quite surprised after the rain we had that I got onto the grown but it dried out well this morning.  Looked in the propagator in the greenhouse when I got back and noticed that the spitfife cabbage that I had sown Monday was 1/2 inch high already, so things are looking up at last.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2006, 15:05:57 »
Went out early and planted shallots and Red Baron onion sets till the skies opened. The rain eased off but the ground is so wet I decided to call it a day. Since then of course the sun has been shining  and the ground has probably dried out. Sod's law.
Broadbeans are now outside to acclimatise then they'll go to the lottie too. Tomatoes and carrots are up (indorrs). Planting peas and parsnips next.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 15:14:07 by grawrc »

grotbag

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2006, 15:10:21 »
Raining all day again,I know we need it but it does p-- you of

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2006, 17:22:10 »
We had a lovely morning while I was in church, then it peed it down when I was on the allotment. Typical! I managed to plant my last onion bed anyway, so now I have to mulch two beds and gett the potatoes in. Hopefully I can make a good start on that next week.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal